Dettori will not ride while vital verdict pending
Published 22/11/2012 | 14:15
Frankie Dettori has indicated he will not be riding anywhere in the world until the French stewards announce their judgement over his positive test for a banned substance.
Dettori will not ride while vital verdict pending Waiting game: Frankie Dettori is awaiting France Galop’s decisionFRANKIE Dettori has indicated he will not be riding anywhere in the world until the French stewards announce their judgement over his positive test for a banned substance.
The 41-year-old has been temporarily suspended from competing in France on medical grounds after making his representation via conference call in front of a medical committee at the Paris headquarters of France Galop on Tuesday.
The file has been handed on to the French stewards, who will make their decision within a fortnight.
Dettori's solicitor, Christopher Stewart-Moore, said in a statement: “Following today's announcement by France Galop setting out the conclusions of their medical committee, Frankie Dettori would like to say that he accepts their conclusions without reservation.
“He is grateful to the medical committee for their time and in particular for listening to his explanation of his position.
“As to the suspension of his licence in France, this is something which he fully anticipated and has not in any event ridden since November 6 when he honoured a pre-existing commitment to ride in the Melbourne Cup.
“He can now confirm that until the matter is resolved by the Stewards of France Galop at a hearing within the next fortnight he will not be riding again anywhere.
“Once the stewards of France Galop make their decision he will make a full statement but is unable to do so until such time as that final decision is announced.”
Dettori had four rides at the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe trials meeting on September 16, after which the sample was returned.
He rode Joshua Tree to finish third in the Prix Foy, Sarah Lynx who trailed home last in the Prix Vermeille, Farhh who was beaten a head in the Prix du Moulin and Willing Foe, third in the Prix Gladiateur.
France Galop's statement, released yesterday, read: “Following yesterday's examination of the file and after having duly notified the jockey Lanfranco Dettori of its decision, the Medical Committee has temporarily suspended the said jockey from riding in races in France, based on medical grounds.
“According to article 143 of the Rules of Racing, the Medical Committee's report has been passed on to the France Galop stewards.
“The France Galop stewards will be studying the file within the next fortnight before deciding what action will be taken in accordance with the Rules of Racing.”
Dettori made the headlines last month when his 18-year association with powerful owners Godolphin came to an end, with the three-times champion jockey planning to ride as a freelance in 2013.
His decision not to ride at all before the France Galop stewards make a final decision on what course of action to take means he will not have to seek any authorisation to compete in Britain, had he wished to do so.
Jamie Stier, director of raceday operations for the British Horseracing Authority, said: “He would be required to undertake a medical examination before being permitted to ride in Britain.”