Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Racing

Milczarek to appeal ban

By Chris McGrath

For those yesterday found guilty of the gravest charges in racing's latest corruption scandal, the sport will presumably reserve its unqualified disgust.

After an arduous process, for all concerned, four jockeys — Kirsty Milczarek, Paul Doe, Greg Fairley and Jimmy Quinn — were found to have conspired in a fraudulent association with two former owners, in connection with various races run in 2009.

The British Horseracing Authority disciplinary panel also found Milczarek, Doe and Fairley in breach of the rule prohibiting the passing of inside information for reward or benefit.

Most grievous of all, however, is the finding that Doe, on two occasions, and Fairley, on one, intentionally ensured that mounts would not show their best.

Fairley and Doe have already quit riding, and barely cooperated with the inquiry, neither attending the hearing in October.

If these relative degrees of culpability are accepted, however, then Milczarek and especially Quinn will feel that they have at least cleared their names of the most damaging of the charges against them.

Paul Fitzsimons, who quit riding in February 2009, has spent six months with a cloud hanging over his new career as a trainer.

All the riders had been charged with equal levels of malpractice, but Fitzsimons was yesterday absolved of any breaches.

Andrew Chalk, his solicitor, said Fitzsimons was delighted the case against him had been thrown out.

Aside from instigating and coordinating a network between various jockeys and their own associates, Maurice “Fred” Sines and James Crickmore were found guilty of laying horses in their ownership.

Five of six unlicensed individuals also charged were found to have shared in a conspiracy.

Paul Scotney, the BHA director of integrity services, stressed that Sines and Crickmore were the core miscreants, having set out to corrupt riders.

He added that the scale and complexity of the case was “unprecedented” in the BHA's experience, and thanked the betting industry for its assistance.

Sines and Crickmore were warned off for 14 years. Doe and Fairley, having apparently ended their careers already, were each disqualified for 12.

While Quinn is pondering a six-month suspension, Milczarek's solicitor confirmed she would definitely take her two-year ban to the Appeal Board.

“We think the Panel's reasoning is flawed,” Christopher Stewart-Moore said.

“We're going to be appealing as Kirsty was not involved in any conspiracy of any kind.”

Belfast Telegraph

How to Complain

If you have a complaint about the editorial content of the Belfast Telegraph or Sunday Life then contact the Editor here. If you are not satisfied with the response provided then you can contact the Independent Press Standards Organisation here

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph