Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Racing

Requinto facing tough task

David Wachman admits Requinto is facing a tough task against his elders in the Coolmore Nunthorpe Stakes at York on Friday.

Following the late withdrawal of leading fancy Bapak Chinta due to a minor injury, the Molecomb Stakes winner is now the sole juvenile in the line-up and will carry just 8st 1lb in the Group One sprint.

Wachman said: "He's fine and I'm not too worried about the ground. He's won on a slower surface and seems to be pretty adaptable. He obviously gets the weight from the older horses and two-year-olds have won this before, although it takes a good one to win it."

Robert Cowell's pride and joy Prohibit makes his first racecourse appearance since striking in the King's Stand at Royal Ascot over two months ago.

The handler said: "We missed Goodwood simply because having a 7lb penalty on that very, very fast track might not have been ideal. He looks very well and he seems fresh. He has really had a good rest and hopefully that will have done him some good - he had been on the go for quite some time.

"We've never run him at York (although he did run once at the track over six furlongs as a three-year-old for John Gosden), so I don't know how he will act there. But he has a good temperament and doesn't get lit up by much."

Roger Charlton's Bated Breath was fifth in the Golden Jubilee at Royal Ascot before placing second in the July Cup. The four-year-old suffered a minor foot injury last week but his trainer is happy his exciting sprinter is now back on song and he is keeping his fingers crossed conditions do not become any more testing.

"I thought the ground on Wednesday was genuine good to soft ground with soft places and it doesn't seem to have dried much overnight from what they say," said Charlton.

"There is more rain coming and it could be quite heavy, but they tell me York might miss it and let's hope that is the case. Obviously faster ground would be more helpful for us."

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph