Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Racing

Trio banned from Worcester racecourse for Tony McCoy attack

By Frank Brownlow

On the day three men were banned for their involvement in an incident when a beer can was thrown at Tony McCoy at Worcester last week, the prolific Ulsterman returned to the track to ride a 10-1 double.

McCoy, racing towards an incredible 20th successive champion jockey title, won yesterday on board The Young Master and Nearest The Pin to take his tally for the season to 138 – 53 winners clear in the title race which ends next April.

Arena Racing Company (ARC), who own Worcester racecourse, yesterday banned the three men allegedly involved.

The trio, who are all local to the track, have been identified by police and are to be banned from the course and all other tracks owned and managed by ARC.

Worcester's general manager Jenny Cheshire said: "The three were identified by police. One of them was already known to us.

"We take incidents like this extremely seriously and such behaviour will not be tolerated.

"Accordingly, they will be banned from Worcester and all our other racecourses.

"This was a one-off incident. It is very rare for us to have trouble here. I think drink was to blame, but of course that's certainly no excuse for such behaviour."

McCoy said yesterday that he had drawn a line under the matter and did not want to take it any further in terms of a complaint to police.

Three police officers were drafted in for yesterday's meeting, in addition to the racecourse security team, and they will also be in attendance for the course's three remaining fixtures this year.

The incident came at the end of Worcester's twilight meeting last week. McCoy had ridden four winners and was returning to unsaddle having finished second on 7-4 favourite Saint Helena.

* BANBRIDGE jockey Pat Cosgrave is free to continue riding in Britain after the British Horseracing Authority revealed it had not received a request from the Emirates Racing Authority to reciprocate a forfeit penalty.

Cosgrave has been placed on the forfeit list over his failure to pay nearly £35,000 in costs relating to a six-month riding ban in Dubai – for improper riding – reduced to four months on appeal.

Belfast Telegraph

How to Complain

If you have a complaint about the editorial content of the Belfast Telegraph or Sunday Life then contact the Editor here. If you are not satisfied with the response provided then you can contact the Independent Press Standards Organisation here

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph