Belfast Telegraph

Saturday 5 September 2015

Rugby: Teenage Ulster sides have mixed fortunes in Limerick

Published 17/10/2007

The Northern Bank Ulster Schools' Under-18 and Under-19 teams travelled to Limerick last week, with the U18s beginning proceedings with an 11am start, in near-perfect conditions at Dooradoyle.

Four minutes into the game, following a smart move of a short penalty, the pack drove back row forward, Brian O'Hara, son of ex Irish flanker Pat O'Hara, over the line for a try which was converted by centre Michael Kelliher.

The Ulster team eventually got points on the board, when outhalf Luke Marshall kicked a penalty.

Munster then extended their lead, when Kelliher kicked a penalty, following an infringement at a ruck, to put them 10-3 ahead at half-time.

In the second half, Ulster seized the initiative territorily, and were rewarded for their endeavour when outhalf Luke Marshall crashed over the Munster line for a well taken try. Marshall converted his try to leave the score at 10-10.

Ulster were well in control, but following a rare incursion into the Ulster half, Munster took the lead once more when winger Dermott Mc Carthy took advantage of poor Ulster defence, to score in the corner. Kelliher missed with his conversion attempt, to leave the score at 15-10 in Munster's favour.

Despite Ulster gaining position in the remaining quarter of the game, the Munster defence held firm, leaving the home team deserved winners by 15-10 at the final whistle.

The Northern Bank Ulster Schools' U19 team took to the field immediately after the U18 game.

The Ulster team, playing with the elements, started strongly and took the lead after 20 minutes with a Paul Galbraith penalty.

On 25 minutes, following an intense Munster attack, Munster outhalf Andrew Burke levelled the score with a well struck penalty.

Ten minutes into the second half, Munster took the lead with another Burke penalty.

This opened the game up from an Ulster point of view and the visitors started to take control. On twenty eight minutes Coleraine AI centre Jonny Shield out paced the home defence to score a fine individual try, which was converted from the touchline by Richard Reaney, to give the Ulster team a 10-6 lead.

Munster attacked at every opportunity in the final seven minutes but the Ulster defence held firm to give the visitors a well deserved 10-6 win at the no side whistle.

From the web

Sponsored Videos

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph