Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home Sport Rugby

Brumbies stun Reds

The Brumbies staged one of the biggest upsets of the Super Rugby season with a 22-14 victory at Suncorp Stadium.

Fly-half Matt Giteau was the star, kicking six goals from six attempts. He also won his personal battle with the Reds' incumbent Wallabies fly-half Quade Cooper, kicking 17 points while Cooper missed two of five attempts and finished with nine points.

Compounding the loss for the Reds was a serious injury to Test winger Digby Ioane, who was knocked out cold in the second half by number eight Ita Vaea.

A second-half fightback lifted the Hurricanes to a resounding 38-27 win over the Lions in Wellington. Trailing 20-8 after tries by Jaco Taute and Doppies La Grange cancelled out an early five-pointer by Aaron Cruden, the Hurricanes looked to be in trouble as defensive lapses and an inability to control the ball hampered them.

But a Hosea Gear try just before half-time sparked the home side and they kept up the pressure in the second spell with Ma'a Nonu adding a third try and Gear completing his double to give the Hurricanes back-to-back wins for the first time this season.

Cruden continued his fine goal-kicking form with four penalties and three conversions for an 18-point haul.

The Sharks saw off the Cheetahs 23-18 in Bloemfontein to pick up the win they needed to maintain their Super Rugby play-off hopes. The home side, with little to play for, led 11-6 at half-time at Free State Stadium - with Sarel Pretorius' try making the difference as both teams kicked two penalties.

However, Lwazi Mvovo and JP Pietersen crossed the whitewash in the second half to give the Durban-based team a victory which improves their chances of post-season action, despite another try from Riaan Viljoen just before the end.

The Blues suffered their third Super 15 loss in succession as they went down to a 16-11 defeat against the Chiefs at Eden Park.

Both sides managed a try apiece - Tana Umaga for the visitors and Jared Payne for the Blues - but in the end it was the kicking that proved decisive, with Stephen Donald sending over a conversion and three penalties against Luke McAlister's two.

How to Complain

If you have a complaint about the editorial content of the Belfast Telegraph or Sunday Life then contact the Editor here. If you are not satisfied with the response provided then you can contact the Independent Press Standards Organisation here


From Belfast Telegraph