Australia coach Robbie Deans is wary of the threat Wales will pose in the three-Test series which kicks off on June 9 in Brisbane.
Wales caretaker coach Rob Howley has named four uncapped players in a 38-man training squad to prepare for next month's clash against the Barbarians and the Australian tour.
"After winning the Six Nations so impressively, there's no doubt that Wales see this tour as the chance to take the next step," Deans said.
"They were quite vocal about that at the end of the tournament, saying it was time they beat one of the major Southern Hemisphere nations.
"It was also clear, when we were in Cardiff last December for the James Bevan Trophy Test, that they believe that goal is within their reach."
Wales finished fourth at last year's Rugby World Cup before claiming the Grand Slam in the RBS 6 Nations.
"The core of the Welsh squad has been together for a long time, and they are used to being successful," Deans said.
"You only have to look at the settled nature of the squad they have named - there are very few injuries. The players all want to be on this trip. That, in itself, is a statement of their intent."