Henson targets World Cup berth
Gavin Henson has set his sights on regaining his Wales place in time for next year's World Cup.
The 28-year-old centre has not played since March 2009, instead spending the time on unpaid leave from his region the Ospreys. But the two-time Grand Slam winner wants to launch his comeback in time to secure a berth in Wales' squad for New Zealand next year.
"I've never been to a Rugby World Cup which is coming up in 2011 and I'm thinking about training for that," he said. "Hopefully I can get back into rugby, do well and get into the World Cup squad. It's the one thing that is not on my CV."
Henson's comments will be welcomed by Wales coach Warren Gatland, who is keen to end the Lion's self-imposed rugby exile.
But Gatland has stated that Henson must make up his mind soon if he is to make the World Cup, which sees Wales take on South Africa in Wellington on September 11 next year.
"If he's going to put himself in the frame it's got to be sooner rather than later," said Gatland. "If it's not until the new year it's potentially going to be too late - he's been out of the game for a while.
"I haven't spoken to Gavin but it would be great to see him back on the rugby field.
"I had a quick conversation with him last year and we were going to meet up but we didn't.
"I have spoken to his agent and I just think it's a loss for the game. He's a talented player."
Henson has one year left on his contract at the Liberty Stadium but is reported to be considering a move to the Aviva Premiership. He won the last of his 31 caps against Ireland in last year's RBS 6 Nations and is said to be eager to resurrect his club career outside of Wales.