Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home Sport Rugby

Ireland boss Joe Schmidt insists Conor Murray will be fine for the World Cup

Published 05/09/2015

Conor Murray, pictured, is predicted to be fit to start the World Cup despite suffering concussion against England
Conor Murray, pictured, is predicted to be fit to start the World Cup despite suffering concussion against England

Joe Schmidt insists Conor Murray will be fit to start the World Cup despite suffering a concussion in Ireland's 21-13 defeat to England.

Ireland boss Schmidt defended his decision to gamble on selecting just two recognised scrum-halves in his final World Cup squad, despite the scare over frontline half-back Murray.

Jonny May and Anthony Watson's first-half tries condemned Ireland to their second-successive defeat, with two weeks to go until their Pool D World Cup opener against Canada in Cardiff.

Tommy Bowe and Simon Zebo were at fault for England's tries, but Schmidt has vowed not to wield the axe, with World Cup action hurtling into view.

"Conor went through all the head injury assessments successfully, but because he was knocked down it was pertinent to leave him off the pitch so he sat it out," said Schmidt, confirming Murray's concussion.

"He'll go through the return to play protocols which should see him fully fit for the start of the World Cup."

Munster playmaker Murray has now suffered three concussions inside the last year, with head blows against Zebre and in Test action against Australia in November.

Ireland boss Schmidt claimed there are no lingering fears over Murray, insisting his successive concussions do not require the 25-year-old to be stood down.

"I think that it's been a long time since he had one," said Schmidt.

"I think the severity of it was that, I don't know if you saw him coming off the pitch, but he was fine.

"One of the good things in the modern game is he's removed from the pitch and stays off the pitch.

"Going back 10 or 15 years he probably would have just played on."

Fly-half Ian Madigan will deputise at scrum-half amid World Cup injuries, with Isaac Boss and Kieran Marmion omitted from Ireland's final squad of 31.

Schmidt defended that strategy, confident Murray will be ready to face Canada in Cardiff on Saturday, September 19.

"I think if we didn't gamble there we were gambling somewhere else," said Schmidt.

"To cover all your options with 31 players, it's not possible really.

"As soon as you have three hookers, you can only have two of everything else.

"If we picked another nine we probably had to give up either a midfielder or one of our back-three.

"It's an imperfect selection because it's an imperfect number, and that's fair because that's what everyone's got.

"If we do get an injury then we have to make a decision, whether to replace a player or risk the specialist recovering."

Johnny Sexton and Zebo pulled up with cramp in a high-octane second half at Twickenham, with flanker Chris Henry winding up on the wing.

Schmidt claimed Ireland are not at panic-stations after 16-10 defeat to Wales and Saturday's Twickenham loss, pledging not to jettison the likes of Zebo and Bowe, who both struggled in London.

"I don't think there's too much panic from us," said Schmidt.

"There's always a nervousness, there's always an anxiety: but over the last two years we've done enough to demonstrate we can hang in there and get results.

"I think we try to be as global as we can when we look at performance.

"If someone's made a mistake it's because they are human.

"If they repeat the mistake and we see they need to work on that, they maybe work on that away from being selected the next time, and hopefully that can be remedied.

"But we wouldn't really be trigger-happy about maybe tailing someone who's made a few mistakes and saying that's untenable and therefore we're going to move you on."

How to Complain

If you have a complaint about the editorial content of the Belfast Telegraph or Sunday Life then contact the Editor here. If you are not satisfied with the response provided then you can contact the Independent Press Standards Organisation here

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph