Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home Sport Rugby

Kevin Bryce in shock after call-up to Scotland World Cup squad

Published 14/09/2015

Stuart McInally has not recovered from a neck injury and has been replaced in Scotland's World Cup squad
Stuart McInally has not recovered from a neck injury and has been replaced in Scotland's World Cup squad

Glasgow hooker Kevin Bryce admitted his World Cup call-up came completely out of the blue after he replaced the injured Stuart McInally in the Scotland squad.

Bryce - who was not even named in Vern Cotter's initial 46-man training squad - was given the surprise news on Monday afternoon after McInally failed to recover from a neck injury.

Bryce won his first call-up in Scotland's 2014 summer tour, but did not feature off the bench after being called up as cover ahead of their warm-up win over Italy in Turin last month.

And the 27-year-old did not suspect anything despite being told on Sunday to report to Murrayfield on Monday morning.

Bryce, who played in Glasgow's Guinness PRO12 win over Connacht on Friday, said: "It was quite a shock and it's not quite sunk in yet.

"I have been on the fringes and went away to Italy but I never thought I was going to get the phone call.

"I always thought it was an outside bet. I never thought I would be going away to a World Cup."

Bryce was stunned when Cotter delivered the news.

"His exact words were: 'You're in, congratulations'," he said. "I wasn't quite ready for it.

"I got a phone call on Sunday to come in today. I had a couple of niggles from the game on Friday so I had to come in and see everything was all right.

"The Scotland doctor wanted to see I was all right but I never thought anything of it. I trained in the morning and got told at lunchtime."

Bryce has one full day to prepare for Scotland's departure for their first base in Gloucester on Wednesday morning, ahead of their opener against Japan on September 23.

And his tasks include letting down his son Leighton ahead of his eighth birthday celebrations.

Speaking 15 minutes after getting his call-up, Bryce said: "I got a quick call in to my old man. He was on a building site and was quite taken aback. He wasn't quite ready for it but he was happy and overwhelmed.

"I've got one day to get everything ready, I have loads to get organised. I've got a wee boy and I've just booked his birthday party. I might need to miss that. I will need to let his mum know and get him a Scotland strip.

"To be honest I don't think he cares that much, I don't think he understands yet."

Bryce still appeared to be in a state of shock as he spoke about his call-up but he is determined to make the most of it.

Bryce, who has two caps, said: "He (Cotter) did say keep myself fit and play well for Glasgow and hopefully an opportunity would come my way. It has and hopefully I can grasp it with two hands.

"I have had a good pre-season with Glasgow and have played a couple of games so I'm match-fit.

"I can get excited now. That's the pinnacle of a career, to reach a World Cup squad."

Cotter felt Bryce's versatility made him the right replacement.

"Our hookers can play loose-forward and Kevin as an ex-loose-forward ticks the boxes, he can cover two positions," Cotter said.

"He came with us to Canada last year and played loose-forward in a game and came with us to Italy as back-up. He knows the squad.

"He's a very good ball-carrier, he's an aggressive chap and works hard. We know he will give us everything he has got."

Like Bryce, Edinburgh's McInally only has two caps, with injury and illness delaying his Scotland debut until the victory in Turin.

"I'm really disappointed for him," Cotter said. "He has worked hard and to not be able to take part in this year's World Cup is very tough on him.

"He's a great rugby player, a good character. He's a leader and we hope he recovers as quickly as possible."

How to Complain

If you have a complaint about the editorial content of the Belfast Telegraph or Sunday Life then contact the Editor here. If you are not satisfied with the response provided then you can contact the Independent Press Standards Organisation here

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph