Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home Sport Rugby

Leinster prop Cian Healy signs new three-year Ireland contract

Published 17/02/2016

Cian Healy has signed a new three-year deal with the IRFU
Cian Healy has signed a new three-year deal with the IRFU

Leinster and Ireland prop Cian Healy has signed a new three-year Irish Rugby Football Union contract, which will see him remain with the province until the end of the 2019 World Cup.

The 28-year-old missed Ireland's first two RBS 6 Nations encounters after undergoing knee surgery - he has not played for his country since the October 18 clash with Argentina at last year's World Cup - but believes he is well on the road to recovery.

"I feel that I am coming back to full fitness now and would like to thank the medical and S&C (strength and conditioning) teams for their ongoing support," Healy said.

"There are a lot of exciting young talented players coming through at Leinster and Ireland and I am looking forward to competing for silverware over the next few seasons."

Healy has made 148 appearances, scoring 17 tries, for Leinster since making his senior debut against Border Reivers.

He made his Ireland bow in the 20-20 draw against Australia in November 2009 and has gone on to win 56 caps for his country, touching down three times.

"Cian is one of the most explosive athletes in world rugby and has proven for both Ireland and Leinster his ability to compete at the highest levels of the game," IRFU performance director David Nucifora said.

"We are delighted that Cian has committed to playing in Ireland up until after the 2019 Rugby World Cup in Japan."

Healy toured with the series-winning British & Irish Lions squad in 2013, although his tour was cut short due to injury.

He has won three European Cups, a Challenge Cup and two Pro12 league titles with Leinster and two Six Nations crowns with Ireland.

How to Complain

If you have a complaint about the editorial content of the Belfast Telegraph or Sunday Life then contact the Editor here. If you are not satisfied with the response provided then you can contact the Independent Press Standards Organisation here

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph