Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home Sport Rugby

O'Connor set for Leinster exit

Published 21/05/2015

Leinster head coach Matt O'Connor is to leave the Irish province after two seasons in charge
Leinster head coach Matt O'Connor is to leave the Irish province after two seasons in charge

Leinster have announced head coach Matt O'Connor is to leave the Irish province.

Leinster said O'Connor's departure is by "mutual agreement" and will take effect from the end of this season.

The current campaign is already over for Leinster, though, following their failure to reach the Guinness PRO12 play-offs.

Leinster made the semi-finals of this season's European Champions Cup, losing to Toulon in Marseille after extra-time, but their domestic form has proved to be inconsistent.

Forwards coach Leo Cullen will now take over team matters on an interim basis.

Australian O'Connor, who was previously head coach at Leicester, joined Leinster in 2013, winning the PRO12 title during his first season in charge.

" I am disappointed and frustrated with our form in the PRO12 this season," he said.

"We set high standards for ourselves, and for many reasons we did not achieve those highs throughout the league this campaign.

" However, the European journey that we took over two seasons, for a new group of coaches, players and staff, is one that we can be very proud of.

"The dynamic in Europe has changed with meritocracy and fewer teams competing, and this has improved the quality.

"We went toe to toe with the best, and there is no shame in losing to Toulon by the smallest of margins. I am extremely proud of the group and the character shown."

How to Complain

If you have a complaint about the editorial content of the Belfast Telegraph or Sunday Life then contact the Editor here. If you are not satisfied with the response provided then you can contact the Independent Press Standards Organisation here

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph