Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Oxford celebrate Varsity victory

Oxford won the Nomura Varsity Match for a second successive season at Twickenham after comfortably overcoming Cambridge 28-10.

The Light Blues were fortunate to finish the game with all 15 players after their number eight Dave Allen punched Oxford skipper John Carter. Allen's off-the-ball indiscipline was captured by television cameras, but referee Dave Pearson missed the first-half incident and it went unpunished.

Cambridge prospered by collecting a penalty try while former Sale back-row forward Carter was off the pitch receiving treatment, but Oxford's win was never in doubt once he returned. Prop Will Kane, lock Karl Outen and fly-half Tom Mitchell scored tries for the Dark Blues, with wing Cassian Bramham-Law's points haul including three penalties.

Cambridge fly-half Steve Townend, meanwhile, kicked a penalty and conversion, but his team conceded 15 unanswered second-half points.

Oxford's pack featured seven of the forwards on duty in last season's encounter, while Cambridge - whose coaching team included Wales defence specialist Shaun Edwards - were captained by former Canadian international centre Matt Guinness-King.

Townend booted Cambridge into a third-minute lead, but Oxford soon stirred and they scored from their first attack when Kane powered over from close range for a try that Bramham-Law converted. Bramham-Law's opening penalty meant Oxford ended the first quarter in charge, yet Cambridge responded during a three-minute display of dominance.

Frantic Dark Blues defensive work denied their opponents a breakaway try, but with Carter off for treatment after taking Allen's blow beneath his left eye, Cambridge pounced. Pearson soon lost patience with the Oxford pack for pulling down a scrum near their posts, awarding Cambridge a penalty try that Townend converted.

Tempers continued to simmer as a feisty half drew to its close, but there was still time for another successful Bramham-Law penalty, which gave Oxford a 13-10 interval advantage.

And Oxford took charge during the third quarter as a driving lineout provided the platform for Outen's touchdown, before Bramham-Law completed his penalty hat-trick and there was no way back for the Light Blues.

England Sevens international Mitchell then ghosted over 10 minutes from time to complete Cambridge's misery on a day when the Light Blues forwards were outgunned in most key areas.

How to Complain

If you have a complaint about the editorial content of the Belfast Telegraph or Sunday Life then contact the Editor here. If you are not satisfied with the response provided then you can contact the Independent Press Standards Organisation here


From Belfast Telegraph