Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home Sport Rugby

Sam Warburton told he'll be back for Wales' crunch showdowns

By Robert Jones

Published 05/10/2016

Big boost: Sam Warburton will return within a month
Big boost: Sam Warburton will return within a month

Sam Warburton requires surgery on his fractured cheekbone but is still expected to feature in all four of Wales' autumn internationals.

Warburton clashed heads with Josh van der Flier in Cardiff Blues' 16-13 defeat by Leinster on Saturday and has been told by a specialist he will be sidelined for no more than a month.

"Warburton will have a small plate inserted in his cheekbone. It is estimated he will be out of action for approximately two to four weeks," a Blues statement read.

The positive injury update means that, barring any setback, Warburton should be available for the autumn opener against Australia in Cardiff on November 5.

And if the best possible prognosis proves correct, he could yet feature for the Blues once more before the international break begins.

Wales interim head coach Rob Howley had already indicated Warburton would be at the helm for a series of games that also sees Argentina, Japan and South Africa visit Principality Stadium.

Meanwhile, the race to host the 2023 World Cup will be contested by Ireland, France and South Africa.

World Rugby have confirmed that all three nations have demonstrated their ability to meet key criteria such as finance and venues in their applications to stage the tournament.

Italy had also begun the bidding process only to pull out last week when it emerged they lacked government support.

"We are delighted by the strong level of serious interest from unions and governments, which is clearly reflected in three strong and impressive applications," World Rugby chairman Bill Beaumont said.

"I would like to congratulate the unions for successfully progressing to candidate status."

The third and final phase of the host selection process begins on November 1 with the winner to be chosen a year later.

Belfast Telegraph

How to Complain

If you have a complaint about the editorial content of the Belfast Telegraph or Sunday Life then contact the Editor here. If you are not satisfied with the response provided then you can contact the Independent Press Standards Organisation here

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph