Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home Sport Rugby Six Nations

Zebo resists the lure of France and pledges his future to Munster

By Nick Purewal

Published 02/02/2016

Signing on: Simon Zebo has ended speculation over his future by penning a new two-year deal with Munster
Signing on: Simon Zebo has ended speculation over his future by penning a new two-year deal with Munster

Munster have convinced Simon Zebo to abandon plans for a switch to France, with the Ireland flyer committing his future to Thomond Park until June 2018.

Zebo's new two-year deal ends his serious and prolonged flirtation with a move to France's Top 14, and further boosts Munster after last week's new terms for Keith Earls and Conor Murray.

The 25-year-old had been locked in negotiations over a new contract for months, and his decision to remain on home shores is also another boon for Ireland's head coach Joe Schmidt.

Last week, centre Earls rejected Saracens' advances and scrum-half Murray sealed a new deal to boot, both men completing three-year dual deals with the Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU).

Munster head coach Anthony Foley said: "Simon's record speaks for itself and keeping a player with his experience and versatility is certainly key to our plans going forward.

"We are delighted that he has committed his future to Munster.

"It's great to have even more good news on the contract front."

Zebo's new Munster deal provides further vindication for Ireland head coach Schmidt last week rubbishing claims of a mass player-drain.

Leinster's Marty Moore will join Wasps this summer with fly-half Ian Madigan off to Bordeaux, but Schmidt took exception to the use of the term 'exodus'.

Now the former Leinster coach's bullish words have been backed up by Munster securing new terms for their three most in-demand stars.

Schmidt said last week: "I've seen the word 'exodus' used a number of times, I've read the book by Leon Uris along with another Leon Uris title.

"It defies the dictionary definition of 'exodus'.

"There's always concern when we lose the opportunity to manage that player.

"We get the training volume from the provinces, we know their strength and conditioning programmes, their total training minutes."

Belfast Telegraph

How to Complain

If you have a complaint about the editorial content of the Belfast Telegraph or Sunday Life then contact the Editor here. If you are not satisfied with the response provided then you can contact the Independent Press Standards Organisation here

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph