Belfast Telegraph

Friday 26 December 2014

Tovey returns to Dragons

Jason Tovey is returning to Newport
Jason Tovey is returning to Newport

Fly-half Jason Tovey has left Cardiff Blues to re-join Newport Gwent Dragons on a three-year contract, it has been confirmed.

The 24-year-old Dragons academy product spent just one season away from Rodney Parade having last year switched to the Blues, for whom he went on to make 17 appearances.

Dragons director of rugby Lyn Jones told www.newportgwentdragons.com: "I am delighted to welcome Jason back to Gwent. He really impressed me when I had my first coaching stint here."

He added: "Things haven't really worked out for him at the Blues but we are looking forward to his return to Gwent and helping him to achieve his full potential."

Tovey, who can also play at full-back, said: "I'm really delighted to be re-joining a rejuvenated Gwent squad.

"Last season proved a difficult one for me personally but I'm delighted to be working with Lyn again and looking forward to improving my game and helping Gwent get back up the league where they belong.

"I've missed playing in front of the Rodney Parade supporters and hope I can add to an exciting and optimistic few years back in Newport."

Blues chief executive Richard Holland told www.cardiffblues.com: "I would like to thank Jason for his commitment to Cardiff Blues over the last year and I would like to wish him all the best in the future."

The Dragons have also announced another new arrival on Monday, with Kingsley Jones becoming part of their coaching staff.

Jones, a former Wales captain who has been Sale's boss and is currently in charge of the Russian national side, told the Dragons' website: "I am pleased to be part of the team here at the Dragons and assisting Lyn Jones with the coaching. I want to help to develop the youngsters in the team and push the Dragons up the table."

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Nightlife galleries

More

Latest Sport News

Stats Centre