Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home Sport Rugby

Two-try Tuala sets up Northampton for Champions Cup win over Glasgow

Samoan Ahsee Tuala plundered two tries as Northampton claimed a comfortable 26-15 win over Glasgow Warriors at Scotstoun.

It was the ideal way for Saints to f ollow up last week's home success over Scarlets, and improves their prospects of coming through Pool Three in the European Champions Cup.

Glasgow, who are already in a state of uncertainty regarding when their postponed game against Racing 92 will be played, are now under qualification pressure having lost at home.

Northampton had by far the better of the first half despite a penalty by Finn Russell giving Glasgow an early lead. Russell had missed an earlier shot at goal.

Before Glasgow troubled the scoreboard again, Northampton had built up a deserved 18-3 lead.

With the visiting pack on top, stand-off Stephen Myler controlled play and produced a high kick that Glasgow could not deal with to set up the first try for centre George Pisi in the eighth minute.

Pisi collected the steepler and touched down by the posts, with Myler converting.

Seven minutes later Northampton struck lucky when a side-footer from Myler came back off a post and earned the visitors a five-metre scrum. When Glasgow were penalised, Myler took another three points.

Glasgow were in trouble in the scrums and in the 20th minute referee Pascal Gauzere sin-binned loosehead prop Ryan Grant.

Myler kicked his second penalty and in the 29th minute worse was to follow for the home side.

Following a lineout, Northampton moved the ball from left to right and winger Tuala ran through home full-back Stuart Hogg for an unconverted touchdown.

Glasgow, who had repeatedly shot themselves in the foot when well placed, at last brought some hope to the big crowd eight minutes from the interval.

The quickest of possession from a scrum in front of the Northampton posts was whipped out to centre Peter Horne who darted over the goal-line for a try that Russell was able to convert.

However there was still time for Myler to kick his third penalty, so Northampton went in looking comfortable on their 21-10 lead.

Northampton stretched their lead in the 53rd minute. A number of missed tackles ended with number eight Sam Dickinson getting into the home 22. Myler struck a grubber kick to the right wing and Tuala picked up his second unconverted try.

Glasgow responded with their first high-tempo play of the evening. Northampton centre Luther Burrell was sin-binned and finally home number eight Josh Strauss drove over to cut the deficit as the final quarter dawned, but the contest ran out without further incident.

How to Complain

If you have a complaint about the editorial content of the Belfast Telegraph or Sunday Life then contact the Editor here. If you are not satisfied with the response provided then you can contact the Independent Press Standards Organisation here

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?


From Belfast Telegraph