Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Will Chudley helps Exeter to victory against his former club Newcastle

A 77th-minute try by former Newcastle scrum-half Will Chudley completed a hugely satisfying night on Tyneside for Exeter with a bonus point 32-19 victory - only their third Aviva Premiership win of the season.

England internationals Ollie Devoto and Thomas Waldrom and winger James Short plundered the other tries for the fired-up Chiefs, while fly-half Gareth Steenson weighed in with 12 points - three conversions and two penalties - as last season's beaten Premiership finalists regained a measure of their mojo at the expense of a much-improved Newcastle side.

Newcastle were roared on by their biggest home crowd of the season - 8,061 - but, despite tries from hooker Scott Lawson and full-back Alex Tait - failed to claim the consolation of a losing bonus point.

It was Exeter's first Premiership fixture since Semesa Rokoduguni's 88th-minute try consigned them to an agonising 13-10 defeat against Bath three weeks ago, but they got off to a flying start on a freezing night on Tyneside.

Newcastle were attacking on the Chiefs' 22-metre line when their England Saxons scrum-half Mickey Young flung out a telegraphed pass which Engla nd centre Devoto snaffled before racing clear for the opening try.

Steenson landed the conversion and, with just two minutes on the clock, Exeter held a 7-0 advantage. They were pegged back to 7-3 when Newcastle's Kiwi fly-half Mike Delany nailed a 40-metre penalty after 13 minutes.

Exeter enjoyed the lion's share of possession as the opening half progressed but they spurned a couple of line-out drives in the left corner and were made to pay when Newcastle cut loose on the counter-attack after 26 minutes.

Wing Marcus Watson, an Olympic silver medallist in Rio with England's Rugby Sevens squad in August, sliced through the Exeter defence with a diagonal run and, after lock Will Witty was stopped just short, Lawson followed up to score from close range and put Newcastle 8-7 up.

Delany hooked the conversion wide, which gave Exeter the chance to build a handy cushion before the interval. Waldrom, Exeter's New Zealand-born No 8, powered over from a line-out drive in the right corner after 33 minutes and Steenson's conversion gave the Chiefs a 14-8 lead.

Two minutes into the second half Steenson stepped up to nail his first penalty, stretching Exeter's lead to 17-8. They only held their nine-point advantage for three minutes, though, Delany stroking a penalty to cut the visitors' lead to 17-11.

After Newcastle lock Callum Green was yellow carded for deliberately playing the ball on the floor, Steenson's right boot made it 20-11 to Exeter.

As in the first half, the Falcons hit back. Flanker Mark Wilson did the damage with a crash ball break, paving the way for Tait to score after 56 minutes. Delany could have cut the gap to a single point but again hooked wide his conversion attempt.

Then, on the hour, Exeter opened up a 27-16 lead as Short exploited some lacklustre defending to score the Chiefs' third try which Steenson converted.

Delany kicked a penalty after 66 minutes and after full-back Phil Dollman spilt possession when diving over on the right, the livewire Chudley darted over from the blindside of a short-range scrum to clinch the bonus point after 77 minutes.

How to Complain

If you have a complaint about the editorial content of the Belfast Telegraph or Sunday Life then contact the Editor here. If you are not satisfied with the response provided then you can contact the Independent Press Standards Organisation here


From Belfast Telegraph