Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home Sport Rugby World Cup

Stuart Lancaster insists his men know risk of bad behaviour

By Matt McGeehan

Published 25/06/2015

Hot water: Manu Tuilagi won't be selected by Stuart Lancaster until next year after getting
into trouble with the police off the field
Hot water: Manu Tuilagi won't be selected by Stuart Lancaster until next year after getting into trouble with the police off the field

England head coach Stuart Lancaster is yet to consider implementing a curfew or ban his players from drinking as the Rugby World Cup looms large.

Leicester centre Manu Tuilagi will not be considered by Lancaster until January 2016 after being fined for two counts of assaulting a police officer, assault by beating and causing criminal damage.

Sale fly-half Danny Cipriani was arrested on suspicion of drink driving earlier this month and must wait until early August to discover the outcome of a police investigation.

Both incidents took place in the early hours of the morning.

Northampton hooker Dylan Hartley, meanwhile, was banned for four weeks for headbutting Saracens hooker Jamie George and was omitted.

The squad gathered on Monday when Lancaster addressed them ahead of a potentially momentous home World Cup, which begins at Twickenham against Fiji on September 18.

"The players know their responsibilities and the consequence of poor behaviour and poor decisions," Lancaster said.

"I will be very disappointed if we have to deal with any more of these things. But we haven't talked about any specific ban in any shape or form."

For the time being Cipriani remains part of Lancaster's initial 50-man squad for the tournament, which will be cut to 31.

"He rang me at the time to explain what had happened, that he had been involved in an accident and taken to the police station and released without charge," Lancaster added.

"He said he is due to go back and I said let's wait and see what happens at that point.

"Players do have accidents in cars. There is nothing more to say until I know if there is anything he has done wrong in the eyes of the law.

"He had had a great game for the Barbarians and was on his way to get packed to go to the airport and this incident occurred. He was concerned as his first port of call was to ring me."

The uncertainty over Cipriani is of little concern to Lancaster.

"It'd be a bigger headache if the decision was in early September, but we'll know early August," he said. "The first real decision on selection will not come until the week before the first France game (on August 15 at Twickenham)."

England have a little bit of previous on bad boy front

Manu Tuilagi: Fined last month for two counts of assaulting a police officer, assault by beating and causing criminal damage. Also banned from driving. In 2011 he was cautioned by police after he jumped off a ferry about to berth at the Auckland Ferry Terminal and swam to a nearby pier. Was given a pre-charge warning for disorderly behaviour.

Danny Cipriani: Arrested on suspicion of drink driving earlier this month and must wait until early August to discover the outcome of a police investigation. Cipriani was arrested following a crash at 5am in London on the morning after the match against the Barbarians on May 31.

Dylan Hartley: Northampton hooker was banned for four matches for headbutting Saracens hooker Jamie George and was omitted from England's World Cup squad.

Mike Tindall: England officials were forced to defend the conduct of their captain Mike Tindall following the publication of colourful details about a squad outing to a Queenstown nightclub. Tindall was seen flirting with "a gorgeous blonde" while enjoying a "dwarf-throwing contest" in the town's Altitude bar. Tindall, who had recently married the Queen's granddaughter Zara Phillips, was a spectator at the 'Mad Midget Weekender' along with a number of other squad members.

Topsy Ojo and Mike Brown: In 2008 the England players were found guilty of misconduct after they admitted staying out after the first Test in New Zealand, visiting bars.

Eleven Ulster players have been named in Joe Schmidt's 45-man World Cup training squad.

Hookers Rory Best and Rob Herring are joined by fellow forwards Iain Henderson, Chris Henry and Dan Tuohy.

Backs Tommy Bowe, Darren Cave, Craig Gilroy, Paddy Jackson and Jared Payne are all included, as is Andrew Trimble who is available again following the toe injury that kept him out for much of last season.

Rhys Ruddock's second broken arm in six months has cost the Leinster flanker a place in the squad.

Ireland Rugby World Cup training squad: Forwards: R Best (Ulster), M Bent, J Conan, S Cronin, T Furlong, C Healy, J Heaslip (all Leinster), I Henderson, C Henry, R Herring (all Ulster), D Kilcoyne (Munster), J McGrath, M Moore, J Murphy, S O'Brien (all Leinster), P O'Connell (capt), T O'Donnell, P O'Mahony (all Munster), M Ross (Leinster), D Ryan (Munster), R Strauss, D Toner (both Leinster), D Tuohy (Ulster).

Backs: I Boss (Leinster), T Bowe, D Cave (both Ulster), G D'Arcy (Leinster), K Earls (Munster), L Fitzgerald (Leinster), C Gilroy (Ulster), R Henshaw (Connacht), P Jackson (Ulster), F Jones (Munster), D Kearney, R Kearney, I Madigan (all Leinster), K Marmion (Connacht), F McFadden (Leinster), C Murray (Munster), J Payne (Ulster), E Reddan, N Reid (Leinster), J Sexton (Racing Metro), A Trimble (Ulster), S Zebo (Munster).

Belfast Telegraph

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph