Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Tennis

Cup withdrawal enhances fears that Andy Murray will miss US Open

By Mark Staniforth

Andy Murray's troubled 2017 shows no signs of improving, as the World No.1 was forced to withdraw from the Rogers Cup because of the hip injury that hampered his Wimbledon.

The 30-year-old's withdrawal means he could now lose his World No.1 ranking to Rafael Nadal next week. Murray also remains a doubt for the US Open, which begins on August 28.

"I am sad to be missing the tournament in Montreal because I have many great memories from my time in Canada," Murray said in a statement.

"I am doing everything I can to return as quickly as possible."

The Canadian hardcourt event has been hit by a raft of high-profile withdrawals. Wimbledon finalist Marin Cilic has also pulled out, as he continues to recover from the abductor injury he says he suffered in the decider against Roger Federer.

Meanwhile, three-time Grand Slam champion Stan Wawrinka will miss the rest of the 2017 season because of a knee injury, meaning he will not defend his title in New York.

The 32-year-old announced on his Facebook page that he has had surgery because of the injury, which contributed to his shock first-round Wimbledon loss to Daniil Medvedev.

"I love this sport and I will work hard to get back to my top level and play many more years," said Wawrinka. "After talking with my team and doctor I had to make a difficult decision to undergo a medical intervention on my knee. This was the only solution to make sure I will be able to compete at the top level for many more years.

"This is obviously extremely disappointing, but I am already looking ahead and planning my recovery.

It has also emerged that Davis Cup singles matches will remain as best of five sets after a proposal to shorten them was rejected.

A vote of member nations at the International Tennis Federation's AGM saw 63.54 per cent vote in favour of a change to best of three sets, but the motion required a two-thirds majority.

It had been expected to be the most straightforward of the big changes to force through as the ITF look to reduce the strain on the leading players and tempt them back to the competition.

ITF president David Haggerty said: "We respect the decision of the AGM but are disappointed that our member nations have not approved the full package.

"Change is needed to ensure the long-term future of these iconic and historic competitions, and we remain committed to finding ways to enhance the Davis Cup and Fed Cup."

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph