Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home Sport Tennis

Rafael Nadal's Barcelona Open bid gets off to flying start

By Staff Reporter

Published 23/04/2015

Rafael Nadal
Rafael Nadal

Eight-time champion Rafael Nadal declared himself satisfied with victory over Nicolas Almagro in the Barcelona Open, making amends for last year's defeat at the hands of his fellow Spaniard.

Nadal, who had a bye in the first round, won 6-3 6-1 to make up for his loss in last year's quarter-finals.

The 28-year-old said: "I had today's match more or less under control and I think I made very few errors.

"It was the first match of the week against someone who beat me last year and for whom I have maximum respect," he added.

Nadal broke serve five times as he comfortably saw off Almagro, who is on his way back after foot surgery.

He goes on to face the 13th seed Fabio Fognini of Italy today.

US Open champion Marin Cilic lost 6-4 6-4 to Victor Estrella Burgos.

Fourth seed Cilic was playing only his third tournament of the season after recovering from a shoulder injury.

"I was not too happy with the way I played," he said.

"I made a lot of unforced errors. I feel I still need several matches to get my form to a good stage."

Spain's third seed David Ferrer brushed aside compatriot Albert Montanes 6-2 6-3, while Sweden's Elias Ymer upset Wimbledon quarter-finalist - and fellow 19-year-old - Nick Kyrgios 2-6 7-5 7-6 (8-6).

Top seed Kei Nishikori plays Santiago Giraldo in the third round today.

Belfast Telegraph

How to Complain

If you have a complaint about the editorial content of the Belfast Telegraph or Sunday Life then contact the Editor here. If you are not satisfied with the response provided then you can contact the Independent Press Standards Organisation here

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph