Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home Sport Tennis

Recuperation brings Roger Federer's season to an end

By Robert Jones

Published 27/07/2016

Sidelined: Roger Federer will miss the Rio Olympics and US Open
Sidelined: Roger Federer will miss the Rio Olympics and US Open

Roger Federer will miss the rest of the season, including the Rio Olympics and US Open.

The 34-year-old said he had been advised not to play again this year in order to fully recover from the knee surgery he had in February.

"I'm extremely disappointed to announce that I will not be able to represent Switzerland at the Olympic Games in Rio and that I will also miss the remainder of the season," the 17-time grand slam champion said on his official Facebook page.

After undergoing surgery for the first time having suffered a freak injury running his daughters a bath, Federer missed the French Open with a back injury, ending his record-breaking run of 65 consecutive grand slam appearances, but returned to reach the semi-finals of Wimbledon, where he lost to Milos Raonic.

Federer, defeated by Andy Murray in the men's singles final at the London Olympics after winning gold alongside Stan Wawrinka in the doubles in Beijing in 2008, added: "Considering all options after consulting with my doctors and my team, I have made the very difficult decision to call an end to my 2016 season as I need more extensive rehabilitation following my knee surgery earlier this year.

"The doctors advised that if I want to play on the ATP World Tour injury free for another few years, as I intend to do, I must give both my knee and body the proper time to fully recover.

"The silver lining is that this experience has made me realise how lucky I have been throughout my career with very few injuries.

"The love I have for tennis, the competition, tournaments and of course you, the fans, remains intact. I am as motivated as ever and plan to put all my energy towards coming back strong, healthy and in shape to play attacking tennis in 2017."

Belfast Telegraph

How to Complain

If you have a complaint about the editorial content of the Belfast Telegraph or Sunday Life then contact the Editor here. If you are not satisfied with the response provided then you can contact the Independent Press Standards Organisation here

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph