Shameless: Member of gang that kicked Catholic man Paul McCauley to death
Only man convicted over brutal beating that led to the death of civil servant now living less than a mile from site of attack
The only man to be convicted of the brutal beating of Derry man Paul McCauley is living less than a mile from where he and a loyalist gang launched the barbaric attack that stole the civil servant’s life.
Sunday Life can reveal that Daryl Proctor, who was sentenced to 12 years behind bars for the sectarian beating in 2006, is living back in the city, just weeks after the man he kicked and stamped on lost his fight for life.
Our photographer snapped Proctor as he refused to speak to our reporter when she called to his home last week.
The thug, who danced on the head of the civil servant, slammed the door in her face and refused to answer questions about the unprovoked attack which robbed the devoted dad of his life.
Paul, 39, died earlier this month, nine years after he and two friends were set upon by Proctor and group of loyalists
at a barbecue on the city’s Chapel Road.
He was left unable to walk, talk, eat, or even move his eyes, after he was set upon by a gang of up to 20 loyalists.
He remained in a minimally conscious state until his death in a care home on June 6.
And today, less than a mile away from where he took part in the vicious attack, Proctor is living happily with friends and family, months after getting out of prison.
And he still refuses to hand over the names of the UDA killers that helped him beat the civil servant to death.
Today, in an exclusive investigation, Sunday Life can reveal how flaws in the original police investigation led to key evidence being missed.
We also know the names of those believed to have been
involved in, and covering up, the barbaric attack.
They include two men from Scotland who had been living in the city at the time.
We can also reveal how:
- Two cars, including a taxi, ferried the attackers away from the scene of the July 16 attack.
- There are claims a property was used to allow Paul’s killer’s to “clean up” in the hours after the attack.
- Paul’s father believes sectarian social media sites may have “encouraged” the attack.
- Blood found on a shoe belonging to one of the attackers was missed by a Northern Ireland-based forensic team.
We can also reveal how Proctor, who was just 16 when he attacked the then 30-year-old, offered to meet Paul’s father Jim weeks before he was due to appeal the
13-year sentence handed down to him in 2009.
However, the gutless thug pulled out of the meeting, despite the devastated dad agreeing to meet the man responsible for beating his son within an inch of his life.
Shockingly, Proctor was released on the very same day that Paul should have been celebrating his 39th birthday.
Proctor, now 23, was originally charged with attempted murder but was sentenced on three counts of a lesser charge, grievous bodily harm with intent, in 2009.
Despite receiving a 13-year sentence, including one year on probation, Proctor is back on the streets.
Jim McCauley told Sunday Life: “We find that offensive and we take exception to the fact that he qualified immediately for 50 per cent remission.
“We feel that should not have been applied unless he had co-operated with police.
“He accepted a year’s probation, which is a joke, and then 50 per cent remission.
“He was released, we believe, on Paul’s birthday, on January 25 this year.”
Months before Proctor was back on the streets the PSNI was forced to apologise to the McCauley family over failures in the initial
investigation into the sickening attack. Jim says
some of those included a
“tardy” response from forensic teams here.
“The shoes that the police seized were returned because the forensic office here found them to be clean, that there was nothing linking them to the scene of the crime.
“But Proctor’s shoes were found to be clean at a forensic office here too.
“It was only when the shoes were sent to an office in England that Paul’s blood was found on his shoe.”
Mr McCauley added: “There was also an allegation that a key holder of a local property opened it up to allow people to be cleaned up.
“But the police said that when they approached the alarm company, who would be able to tell them at what time the alarm there had been disabled, they (the alarm company) refused to co-operate, which stretches the imagination a bit.”
He added: “There were apparently two cars involved in the attack, one of which was lifted and held for quite a while.
“One was believed to be a taxi, but apparently it was never traced.”
Mr McCauley also criticised the response to his concerns over a number of social media sites active at the time of his son’s attack.
“There were related websites that were reported to the police at that time which I think should have been prosecuted.
“One of them was, ‘do your bit to clean up the streets, kill a Taig’.
“I am not saying that this site was directly linked to the attack, but it could have encouraged the attack on Paul.
“And it was clearly part of the overall anti-Catholic culture going on at that time.”
He added: “I gave details of who ran the site to police.
“Their argument was it couldn’t be prosecuted because it was an American-based website.
“I am disappointed that the police said they could not prosecute this site, at the same time that Northamptonshire police took a successful prosecution against a racist site.
“There were also other sectarian sites active at this time, on both sides, that could have encouraged the attack on Paul.”
Sunday Life can reveal that Proctor and a number of men believed to be involved in the attack, were members of such sites.
On Proctor’s Bebo site (pictured), he proudly shows off his collection of sectarian tattoos, as well as posting hate-filled poems.
He also said: “Snitches get stitches and end up in ditches!!!”
Despite Mr McCauley’s concerns over the initial investigation into his son’s attack, he believes the latest investigation, which has been upped to a murder inquiry, will see more people put behind bars.
He said: “I have hope now because I had a meeting with the Chief Constable and I am very impressed with his commitment. We are confident that the police will bring further convictions.”
Asked what it would mean to the family, including Paul’s mum Cathy and his now 16-year-old daughter, the grieving dad said: “It would give us closure, obviously we have partial closure, but more convictions would bring major closure.
“There is no closure knowing that Paul has suffered so horrendously for nine years and then eventually died.
Mr McCauley also again appealed to people who are protecting the attackers involved.
“Both the good people of the Fountain and the good people of Irish Street owe it to themselves to rid their communities of this core that is protecting the people that murdered Paul.”
Belfast Telegraph Digital