Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Schoolgirl sex assault man is walking tour guide in Northern Ireland town

Published 07/03/2016

Sex Offender David Hall on his walking tour in Antrim
Sex Offender David Hall on his walking tour in Antrim
Sex Offender David Hall on his walking tour in Antrim
Sex Offender David Hall before the walking tour in Antrim with Sunday Life reporter Ciaran Barnes.

A convicted sex offender is running council-backed walking tours through Antrim town centre.

Davy Hall, 46, was convicted a decade ago of indecently assaulting a schoolgirl at a formal.

But that has not stopped him cosying up for photos with unsuspecting Antrim DUP councillor Nigel Kells – who is Junior Minister Emma Pengelly’s election campaign manager – and who has innocently endorsed the tours on social media.

sacked

Speaking to Sunday Life yesterday, Cllr Kells said: “I know Davy, as we go to the same church. I also knew he had been sacked from his job as a teacher, but I didn’t know why.

“I’ve only lived in Antrim eight years.”

Hall groped his victim during a dinner dance at a Templepatrick Hotel.

After he appeared in court he was sacked from his job teaching history at Parkhall College and was also booted out of the Ulster Unionist Party and Orange Order.

A history buff, he recently started holding £5-per-head education tours around Antrim during which he points out locations associated with the 1798 United Irishmen rebellion.

Hall told Sunday Life his walks have the full support of Antrim and Newtownabbey Borough Council – a claim that is backed up by the fact they are being promoted as part of its Market in the Square event on March 19.

A number of Antrim and Newtownabbey councillors’ social media sharing of the tours highlight further political support.

“Of course the council know about my background, and it has accepted that I’ve moved on,” Hall told Sunday Life yesterday.

“The incident I was involved in occurred 14 years ago. I’ve paid the price.

“I lost my job and my career. I’m trying my best to move on,” he added.

Hall has a number of Saturday morning walking tours planned throughout March.

Writing on Facebook about being invited to take part in the council Market on the Square event he said: “Delighted to have been invited by my local council to have my tour marketed as part of this event.”

But Antrim residents who tipped Sunday Life off about Hall’s tours said they are unhappy that he has the endorsement of the local council.

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph