Joe Gormley back in the goals for Cliftonville and an Irish League friendly round-up
The Irish League season is now under five weeks away and clubs are in the thick of their pre-season schedules. On Saturday, Joe Gormley was back scoring for Cliftonville while one of Glentoran's new signings hit the net. Here's a full round-up:
- JOE Gormley scored his first goal since returning to Cliftonville in a 5-0 victory over Ballyclare Comrades at Solitude. After Jay Donnelly had opened the scoring, substitute Jude Winchester’s brace put the Reds firmly in control ahead of Gormley and Ross Lavery getting on the scoresheet.
- JOHN McGuigan opened the scoring and Tiarnan McNicholl hit a late leveller as Glentoran were held to a 2-2 draw by Rathfriland Rangers.
- GOALS from Michael McLellan (3), Gareth Tommons (2), Ben Arthurs (2), Carl McComb and Craig McMillen helped Ards to an astonishing 9-4 win against Dundela at the Bangor Fuels Arena.
- CRUSADERS have announced three additions to their pre-season schedule that will see them host Championship runners-up Institute on July 22 and Rathfriland Rangers on July 29 before a Crues XI tackles Ballyclare Comrades on August 3.
- Martin Maybin registered the only goal of the game as Carrick Rangers got the better of Brantwood.
- DERGVIEW lifted the John Thomas Alexander Forsythe Memorial Cup with a 4-3 penalty shoot-out defeat of Ballinamallard United following a 1-1 draw at Darragh Park.
- PORTADOWN geared up for their sojourn in the Championship with a comprehensive 6-1 defeat of 1st Bangor.
- DUNGANNON Swifts will begin their preparations for the new campaign in a friendly with Coagh United at Hagan Park tonight (Monday - 7.45pm).
- NEWLY promoted Warrenpoint Town will travel to face Valley Rangers tonight, with kick-off set for 7pm.
Belfast Telegraph Digital