Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Anonymous v Donald Trump: Hacktivist group sets April 1 date for 'total war' on Republican candidate

By Mark O'Beirne

Published 16/03/2016

Anonymous has declared war on Donald Trump
Anonymous has declared war on Donald Trump
People participate in a march to the US Captiol during the "Million Mask March" November 5, 2013 in Washington, DC
The Anonymous Million Mask March in Dublin
People march to the U.S. Captiol during the "Million Mask March" November 5, 2013 in Washington, DC

Hacktivist group Anonymous has declared “total war” on Donald Trump and plans to strike next on April 1st.

In a call-to-arms video posted on YouTube, a masked member of the group says that it’s time to take Trump down by taking his websites offline and by revealing “what he doesn't want the public to know."

On April 1st, Anonymous plans to target the website for Trump International Hotel & Tower in Chicago with a DDoS attack.

In the video, the person says that anyone with a computer can get involved; a DDoS attack simply involves flooding the site with requests, which means that supporters can contribute to the effort just by visiting the website.

In December, the group took down the Trump Towers NY site as a response to Trump’s call for a ban on Muslims entering the US. The group took the site offline as a "statement against racism and hatred,” and warned that the US presidential candidate should think twice about his stance.

Earlier this month, the group allegedly hacked Trump’s voicemail leaking messages from 2012. These messages seemingly featured prominent members in the US media thanking Trump for his financial support.

The next operation in the war on Trump seems less drastic than previous actions, but many will be watching to see what unfolds on April 1st.

Irish Independent

Irish Independent

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More