Samsung expands Note 7 recall in US to replacement phones
Samsung has expanded its recall of Galaxy Note 7 smartphones in the US to include all replacement devices offered after the originals were found prone to catch fire.
The move, announced by Samsung and the Consumer Product Safety Commission, came after the company said earlier this week it was discontinuing the product following reports the replacements were also overheating.
The product safety agency said that 1.9 million original and replacement phones are subject to the expanded recall, including a million Note 7s sold after the first round on September 15.
The agency said there were 96 reports of batteries in Note 7 phones overheating in the US, including 23 new reports since the first recall announcement last month.
The company received 13 reports of burns and 47 of property damage associated with the phones.
"Consumers should immediately stop using and power down all Galaxy Note 7 devices, including Note 7 devices received as replacements in the previous recall," the agency said.
The botched recall is raising questions about Samsung's initial analysis of the Note 7 phone's problems.
At first, Samsung said a minor manufacturing error in the batteries for the Note 7 was causing the phones to overheat.
The problem with the replacements is still unclear. Experts say Samsung may have rushed to conclude the Note 7's problem was a battery issue and it may take a long time to find the real cause.
Seeking to retain customers, Samsung is giving an incentive of a 100 US dollar (£82) credit to Note 7 owners who switch to another of its phones.
The Note 7 was one of the most expensive smartphones in the market with all the latest technologies, including the ability to unlock by scanning an iris.