An analysis of global temperatures by NASA scientists has shown that 2013 was the seventh-warmest year since 1880 (tied with 2006 and 2009). Scientists at NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) reported that last year marked a continuation of the the long-term trend of rising air temperatures. This animation shows monthly temperature anomalies from 1880 through 2013. Nine of the 10 warmest years on record have occurred since 2000. Credit: Youtube/NASA Earth Observatory
Video: 2013 was seventh-warmest year on record, NASA Says
- Video: Olympic torch-bearers return from International Space Station
- Video: Royals attend Commonwealth Day service
- Video: Missing Malaysian plane: Iranian asylum seeker using stolen passport
- Video: Cheryl Cole returns to The X Factor
- Video: Actor Jude Law in Olivier Awards battle
- Video: Russian cosmonauts prepare to leave International Space Station
- Video: Alan Shearer and Robbie Savage in 'Battle of the Backsides'
- Video: Secrets of Apple's new 'spaceship HQ' in California revealed
- Video: New elephant calf at Twycross Zoo
- Video: Batman: Arkham Knight 'Father to Son' trailer
Great white shark 'Lydia' on course for Ireland
The top 50 things we hate most about modern life
The Troubles gallery - John Hume detained in 1971
Favourite Ulster beauty spots - send us your pics
Miliband sets EU poll conditions new
Ed Miliband has drawn battle lines with the Tories over Europe by effectively ruling out a referendum on British membership - unless there are moves to transfer fresh powers to Brussels.
Deli owner triumphs on The Taste new
Deli owner Debbie Halls-Evans is savouring success after triumphing in Channel 4's The Taste, following a nail-biting finale of the cookery show.
NHS localism ripped up - Burnham new
The Government have ripped up the coalition commitment to localism in the NHS by voting through sweeping powers for ministers to close hospitals, shadow health secretary Andy Burnham has said.
Roberts defends Wales tactics new
Jamie Roberts has rejected suggestions that fallen RBS 6 Nations champions Wales employed a predictable game-plan against England.
Bench role for Tuilagi new
England are to name Manu Tuilagi on the bench for their final match of the RBS 6 Nations against Italy after including him in their matchday squad for Rome.
Irish eyes smiling at Cheltenham
Luck went with the Irish on the first day of the Cheltenham Festival.
How Pharrell helped me - Kylie new
Kylie Minogue has revealed how Pharrell Williams helped her through some tough times.
Reid crowned newsreader of the year
Susanna Reid has been crowned newsreader of the year at an awards bash days after announcing her defection to ITV.
Richards to pen children's book
Keith Richards is turning Street Writing Man with a new book for children.