The Hungarian Defence Forces have been working to counter flooding from the swelling Danube river. Having caused chaos in several other countries, the rising waters advanced toward the Hungarian capital, Budapest. The northwestern town of Gyrújfalu is one of the first to lie in the path of the river. This footage shows soldiers working on flood defences there. Credit: Magyar Honvédség.
Video: Military scrambles to counter Danube flooding
- Video: Jayden Parkinson: Police hunt leads to church grave
- Video: 'Depraved' Lostprophets singer Ian Watkins is jailed
- Video: Great Train Robber Ronnie Biggs dies aged 84
- Video: Former Lost Prophets singer Ian Watkins gets 35 years for sex offences
- Video: Social media facilitating growth of 'human rights culture' in Saudi Arabia, says activist
- Video: Harrods bombing 30th anniversary
- Video: Princess Diana Death: 'No evidence' SAS involved
- Video: Little Mix and Minnie Mouse team up at Disneyland Paris
- Video: A Christmas miracle! Canadian airline WestJet makes stunned passengers' festive wishes come true
- Video: Jennifer Lopez may spend Christmas with her ex-husband Marc Anthony
200 'virgin births' in US new
Women 'conceived without sex'
Nitelife: Christmas parties new
Tiny monkeys born in Belfast
Nelson Mandela: life and times
Key moments in life of former president
Help babies like little Joe
Help save lives of babies around the world
Northern Ireland news photos
Photographs from Belfast, Northern Ireland
World in Pictures
Striking images from around the globe
Favourite Ulster beauty spots
Reader images: Send us your pictures
Old school pictures: Kate Middleton
Gerry Adams, Liam Neeson, Eamon Holmes ...
Insurance firm to create 150 jobs new
Up to 150 jobs are to be created at an insurance firm over the next two years.
Man sets himself on fire in Vatican new
A man has doused himself with petrol and set it alight in St Peter's Square in Vatican City.
'Bad bank' faces loan value probe new
The state's "bad bank" Nama is to be called before the public spending watchdog over claims that it has deliberately undervalued loans bought off banks.
Tigers stalk Priestland new
Leicester Tigers have joined the fight to lure Rhys Priestland away from the Scarlets, boss Richard Cockerill has confirmed.
Dzeko looks to replace Aguero new
Edin Dzeko admits Sergio Aguero's absence is "very bad" for Manchester City but hopes he can fill the Argentinian's boots.
Savage set for spell on sidelines new
Gloucester captain Tom Savage will be sidelined for at least two months after undergoing surgery to repair a torn pectoral muscle, boss Nigel Davies has confirmed.
Phoenix for Batman-Superman movie? new
Joaquin Phoenix is rumoured to be in talks to play Lex Luthor in the new Batman-Superman movie.
Tulisa denies cocaine deal charge new
Singer Tulisa Contostavlos has denied being concerned with the supply of Class A drugs.
Saatchi PAs fraud jury retires new
The jury in the trial of two sisters accused of defrauding Charles Saatchi and Nigella Lawson has been sent out to consider its verdicts.