Belfast Telegraph

Dog saved after eating 80 stones

A dog had to undergo emergency surgery after eating up to 80 pieces of gravel in her garden.

The seven-year-old Jack Russell terrier was barely able to move after feasting on the stones and refused food for 24 hours.

Star's unusual behaviour prompted owner Tracy McCaul to take her to the vets.

Staff at the PDSA pet hospital in Blackpool could fee a "crunchy material" in Star's tummy and an X-ray confirmed the dog had eaten gravel.

Tracy, 49, from Fleetwood, said: "I was very shocked when PDSA told me she had swallowed so many stones, I just didn't think it was possible. Star was kept at the PetAid hospital for several days and I was really worried about her."

Jennifer Jackson, PDSA senior vet, said: "Star's condition was very worrying - she could hardly stand and was extremely dehydrated. On close examination, we could feel something in Star's stomach but when we saw the x-rays we couldn't believe how many stones she had swallowed.

"It really was touch and go whether Star would survive, the quantity of sharp stones passing through her intestines was damaging them and given the possibility of them piercing her intestines, there was a danger of her developing potentially fatal peritonitis. We had to carry out emergency surgery to remove the stones and thankfully she has gone on to make a full recovery. "

Tracy, who also owns another dog called Mitzie, has since removed all gravel from her garden to prevent any similar incidents in the future.


From Belfast Telegraph