Belfast Telegraph

Satellite picks up plant smoke

Pictures of smoke from a huge fire at a British recycling plant has been picked up on a Nasa satellite, it has emerged.

People living near the blaze at the plant in Sherburn in Elmet, North Yorkshire, have been advised to keep windows closed after up to 15,000 tonnes of material, including tyres, caught light.

North Yorkshire Police said the smoke was heading across the moors and towards the east coast, and because the plume was high in the sky the risk of harm to the public was low.

In a Nasa satellite image published by ITV Calendar's website, a column of smoke could be seen towering into the sky and rising above the cloudy skies over Yorkshire.

A Public Health England spokesman said: "So far, there have been no reports of any people experiencing ill effects from this fire.

"However, sheltering indoors provides protection from exposure to smoke, so we advise residents in areas affected by smoke from the fire to stay indoors and keep their doors and windows closed as much as possible to limit any exposure to smoke.

"Reports from the scene indicate that the smoke is not affecting areas close to the site at this time."

"Anyone who suffers from respiratory conditions, such as asthma, is advised to ensure they have taken any prescribed medication and keep it to hand. If you are concerned about the effects of smoke on your health, telephone your GP or call 111 for advice.

"Motorists who have to travel through any smoke should keep windows closed, turn off air conditioning and keep their air vents closed.

"The emergency services are on-site dealing with the fire and the other agencies involved will continue to monitor the situation and issue any necessary further advice to the public, businesses and organisations affected."

Schools in local villages were alerted to the potential dangers.

North Yorkshire Fire Service sent 14 crews to the scene, as well as a specialist pump which can send water longer distances than normal.

Crews from Humberside and West Yorkshire also attended the fire, which broke out around 8.30am.


From Belfast Telegraph