Belfast Telegraph

Cross-border workers could owe tax in both countries

By Staff Reporter

Cross-border workers who are living in the Republic and working in Northern Ireland have been warned about their tax liabilities in both jurisdictions.

Michael O'Hare, director of ASM Chartered Accountants - which has four offices in Northern Ireland and two in the Republic - warned cross-border workers not to get caught out and face possible fines.

He said: "As a cross-border worker and/or business owner, individuals must pay income tax in the country where they earn their income, but their ultimate tax responsibility is with the country where they live so they must submit an annual self assessment each year.

"For those individuals living in the north and working in the south, they will pay tax directly to the Irish Revenue Commissioner.

"However, they will also be required to submit an annual self-assessment on foreign earnings to HMRC."

Belfast Telegraph