Belfast Telegraph

Glazing firms warn MLAs over job losses

By CLARE WEIR

Glazing firms who have been caught up in a procurement delay have urged politicians to take action to avoid job losses.

A number of window manufacturing companies bid for a contract to install double -glazing in Northern Ireland Housing Executive stock.

The double-glazing programme began in 2012 and is due to be completed by 2015, but award of the tender has been delayed and bidding companies have now been informed that following a legal challenge the procurement has been frozen.

The monthly meeting of the board of the Housing Executive takes place today and the issue of procurement of contracts for double-glazing schemes is on the agenda.

Managing director of Superseal in Castledawson, Ken Taylor, said that many companies are running out of work and are looking at redundancies.

"We don't want to do that but we have no choice," he said.

"The most frustrating thing is that the Housing Executive have told us that they need the work done, the tenants of the houses want it done and the NIHE have the money to pay for it. Yet, for all that, the procurement is still held up and the work is not getting done.

"We have met the Social Development Minister Nelson McCausland, written to the board and met the senior staff of the Housing Executive.

"So far the issue has not been resolved.

"We want the board to take a firm grasp of the matter and find a way to release work. The alternative is the loss of more than 100 jobs," he said.

Belfast Telegraph

Weekly Business Digest Newsletter

This week's business news headlines, directly to your inbox every Tuesday.

Popular