Airbus has no plans to buy out Bombardier stake, says CEO
Airbus's CEO Tom Enders has announced it does not plan to buy out Bombardier or the Quebec government, its partners in producing the C Series jet.
The announcement was made during a joint appearance with Bombardier's CEO Alain Bellemare at the Montreal Board of Trade on Friday.
Earlier this week it was revealed Airbus would acquire just over 50% of the C Series programme in a move which could safeguard thousands of jobs in Belfast, where the wings of the aircraft are made.
The Airbus deal came after a case taken by US plane manufacturer Boeing saw the Canadian firm hit with a 300% import duty on US sales.
The development is thought to be a boost to the future of a deal Bombardier has in place with Delta Air Lines to produce up to 125 C Series planes.
- Bombardier's C Series 'still facing 300% levy despite Airbus deal'
- Airbus-Bombardier: New hope on horizon as Belfast workers greet news of deal
As part of the deal Airbus has the option to buy out Bombardier within about seven years, and the option to buy out the stake of the Quebec government in 2023.
According to Canadian publication the Globe and Mail, Mr Enders said: "We have no intention to buy out the others because we know they are great partners and if they want to stay on the journey going forward they are very welcome to that."
He also outlined Airbus's plans to grow the business, opening a second assembly line in Alabama and selling more aircrafts.
He added that he expected the ongoing Boeing case to be a "little bit rough and tough" but that "we've seen that before".
Belfast Telegraph Digital