Bridging gap for visitors to HMS Caroline
A new bridge will give visitors to Belfast's Titanic Quarter easier access to the refurbished HMS Caroline ship and former Pump House.
The 25-metre steel and timber footbridge, which weighs 14 tonnes, has been installed across the mouth of Alexandra Dock in Belfast's Queen's Island.
Built by Woodburn Engineering in Carrickfergus, the bridge opens up access to the dock from the Pump House for the first time in decades.
Captain John Rees, director of the £18m HMS Caroline, Pump House and Alexandra Dock restoration projects, said: "This will be one of the final pieces completing a complex and very attractive cluster of Victorian architecture, engineering and marine technologies centred around HMS Caroline.
"HMS Caroline is a living legend.
"This is a world class heritage asset and the only ship remaining from the Grand and High Seas Fleet of some 250 vessels.
"We must not underestimate the value of this ship and the resonance of its history and position in Northern Ireland, so it is a matter of pride for us as well as a contribution to local communities that the ship is brought back to life as a museum and visitor attraction.
"Naval historians and the general public around the world will be fascinated by this wonderful ship and delighted that they can come on board and see it for themselves."
Moored in Belfast since 1924, HMS Caroline has been restored and fitted out with a range of exhibition areas and interactive suites.
HMS Caroline opens to the public seven days a week until 5pm.