Baz Luhrmann: It kills me that I can't commit to The Get Down series 2
The director said he could split himself between projects.
Director Baz Luhrmann has admitted it “kills” him that he cannot commit to writing a second series of his hit Netflix show, The Get Down.
His comments follow reports that the online service will not be broadcasting another season, despite the success of its first two-part run.
In a wordy Facebook post, Baz said that further work on The Get Down would mean pushing back his upcoming film project.
Dear fans of The Get Down, I wanted to speak to you with an open heart and just acknowledge how humbled and moved that not only I, but all who have given so much to this production, have been by…
Explaining why a second series is “unlikely to happen,” he wrote: “When I was asked to come to the centre of The Get Down to help realise it, I had to defer a film directing commitment for at least two years.
“This exclusivity has understandably become a sticking point for Netflix and Sony, who have been tremendous partners and supporters of the show. It kills me that I can’t split myself into two and make myself available to both productions.
“The simple truth is, I make movies. And the thing with movies is, that when you direct them, there can be nothing else in your life. Since The Get Down stopped, I have actually been spending the last few months preparing my new cinematic work…”
Baz described the cast of the musical drama, which follows teenage South Bronx disco singers struggling against the difficulties of 1970s New York, as “unique and exceptional.”
“All of us in The Get Down family have been touched by this precious mission of telling the pre-history of a form of culture that would go on to change not only the city, but the world,” he said.
“As for the real future of the show, the spirit of The Get Down, and the story it has begun to tell… it has its own life.”
Fans have been outraged by news of the show being axed, with many taking to Twitter to complain that the decision marks a blow for diversity in television.
Y'all let the get down, a show with actual diversity and good plot, get cancelled yet supernatural and greys anatomy are on season 264828 pic.twitter.com/5rKXSDhhwm— ✧ alice (@incjghafa) May 25, 2017
honestly the get down is such an important show with racial diversity and lgbtq representation and it gets CANCELLED i am LIVID— alex (@alexmmcv) May 25, 2017
Im so disappointed that The Get Down got cancelled. That show was QUALITY. Diversity. Complexity. HONESTY. It's what we needed.— lil puerto rico (@Noahhhplease) May 25, 2017
Netflix has so far declined to comment on the reports.