Charlize Theron says famous director sexually harassed her
The actress is starring in Bombshell, a drama about the sexual harassment allegations at Fox News.
Hollywood star Charlize Theron has detailed the alleged sexual harassment she suffered from a famous director and revealed she has named him previously.
The actress is currently starring in drama Bombshell, which tells the story of Fox News head Roger Ailes and his downfall following accusations of sexual harassment.
In an interview with US outlet NPR, Theron said she was a young actress in 1994 when a famous director invited her to his home.
When Theron – now a 44-year-old Oscar-winner – arrived, she said she found the filmmaker drinking and in his pyjamas. He allegedly touched her leg before she left in a hurry.
Theron has now revealed she has previously named the man, but a journalist decided not to print the allegations.
Theron said his remaining anonymous goes to show “just how deeply systemic the problem is”.
She also said she was “conflicted” over naming the director in the immediate future in case it overshadows Bombshell, which is a strong awards season contender and also stars Nicole Kidman and Margot Robbie.
However, she insists she will name him at some point.
Theron said: “I don’t have a desire to protect him, but I also don’t want him to overshadow this film right now. So there will be a right time where I will talk about this again, and I will say his name, yes.”
In the same interview, Theron also described the moment when she was 15 and her mother shot and killed her alcoholic father in her native South Africa.
She said: “My mom and I were in my bedroom leaning against the door, because he was trying to push through the door. So both of us were leaning against the door from the inside to have him not be able to push through.
“He took a step back and just shot through the door three times. None of those bullets ever hit us, which is just a miracle. But in self-defence, she ended the threat.”
Bombshell is in UK cinemas from January 24 2020.