Belfast Telegraph

Ridley Scott: No action against Spacey for re-shoots costing millions

The director also said the decision to sack Spacey was “instant” after the actor became embroiled in the Hollywood sexual harassment scandal.

Ridley Scott has said he will not be recuperating costs from Kevin Spacey after last-minute re-shoots to scrub the disgraced actor from All The Money In The World cost millions.

The British director sacked Spacey less than two months before the thriller’s release because the Oscar-winner became embroiled in the Hollywood sexual harassment scandal.

Christopher Plummer, 88, was recruited to replace him in the role of industrialist J Paul Getty in unprecedented re-shoots that cost around 10 million dollars (£7.5 million).

bpanews_fea3f81a-480a-424b-a1ba-2d5b969a6618_embedded146429
Scott with Christopher Plummer at the world premiere

Despite the chaos, the film received its world premiere in Los Angeles on Monday and will be released as scheduled for Christmas in the US.

Asked whether action there will be efforts to get compensation, Scott told the Press Association: “No, there’s no way you can ensure that. The cost involved was relatively, comparatively not bad because we all did it for nothing.”

Scott said he did not hesitate in sacking Spacey despite the move costing in the “region” of 10 million dollars according to one of the producers, Chris Clark.

“It had to be done, it was instant. It took probably half an hour of discussion, the reality of having to do that,” said Scott, 80.

bpanews_fea3f81a-480a-424b-a1ba-2d5b969a6618_embedded234006997
Kevin Spacey allegations

“Otherwise the film will dissolve away because no-one will want to see it and therefore no-one will want to put money into it.”

Clark also said there will be no action against Spacey, 58.

“That’s not something we’re interested in doing at all. Let’s move on, draw a line under it, we’ve made our point and we can release our film now,” he said at the premiere in Beverly Hills’ Samuel Goldwyn Theatre.

Plummer has been nominated for a Golden Globe for playing Getty, the billionaire who refused to pay the ransom demands for the release of his kidnapped 16-year-old grandson in 1973.

Scotland Yard is investigating former House Of Cards star Spacey over two allegations of sexual assault alleged to have taken place in Lambeth, south London, in 2005 and 2008.

A review by London’s Old Vic theatre, where Spacey was artistic director between 2004 and 2015, found 20 people claimed they had been subjected to inappropriate behaviour from the actor.

:: All The Money In The World is due out in UK cinemas on January 5.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph