Elvis Costello forced to cancel tour dates following cancer surgery
The singer said in a statement that he had reluctantly cancelled the dates because he needed more time to recuperate.
Singer Elvis Costello has cancelled the remaining dates on his European tour after being advised to rest following surgery for a “small but very aggressive cancerous malignancy”.
The musician, whose real name is Declan Patrick MacManus, has been advised to rest by his doctor.
The 63-year-old revealed in a statement that he had undergone a single operation and that initially, following the procedure, he was “elated and relieved that our European summer tour could go ahead”.
He said: “Six weeks ago my specialist called me and said ‘You should start playing the Lotto’.
Elvis Costello has been forced to cancel the remaining 6 dates of his current European tour on medical grounds. His doctor has strongly advised him to take a break from his current tour itinerary and rest. Please click here for more information - https://t.co/tEqHUo5l5o— Elvis Costello (@ElvisCostello) July 6, 2018
“He had rarely, if ever, seen such a small but very aggressive cancerous malignancy that could be defeated by a single surgery.
“Post-surgical guidelines for such surgery recommend three weeks to four weeks recovery depending on whether you are returning to a desk job or an occupation that involves physical work or travel.
The Alison singer added that it was “impossible to judge how this advisory would line up with the demands on a travelling musician, playing 90-minute to two-hour plus performances on a nightly basis, but by the time we reached the Edinburgh Playhouse, I was almost fooled into thinking that normal service had been resumed”.
He thanked fans who have attended shows so far but said he had realised he needed further time to recuperate.
“Therefore, I must reluctantly cancel all the remaining engagements of this tour”, he said.
“My apologies go to our ticket-holders in Manchester, Pula, Graz, Vienna, Tysnes and Rattvik, but I would rather disappoint our friends there by not appearing than in pressing on with a show that is compromised and eventually puts my health at risk.”
Costello added that he had a new record planned for later in the year and urged other men to seek medical advice if they had any worrying symptoms.
He said: “To leave you with some more optimistic news, The Imposters and I – together with several of our other friends – have made a magnificent new record of which we are truly proud. It will be issued in October, I believe.
“We will return at the soonest opportunity to play that music and your favourite songs that still make sense to us all.
“Take very good care of your loved ones but gentleman, do talk to your friends – you’ll find you are not alone. Seek your doctor’s advice if you are in doubt or when it is timely, and act as swiftly as you may in these matters. It may save your life. Believe me, it is better than playing roulette.”
The official statement added that ticket-holders should go to their point of purchase for refunds.
Costello had been due to perform in Manchester on Friday (July 6) and the remaining dates affected were for performances in Croatia, Austria, Norway and Sweden.