Q&A: 10 questions for... Prince tribute act New Purple Celebration ahead of Belfast gig
The UK's top Prince tribute act New Purple Celebration will be performing at the Limelight in Belfast on Friday, May18.
Ahead of the gig, we grabbed a quick Q&A with singer Jimi Love to find out all about the show.
1. What are you most looking forward to about your Belfast show?
Everything! It’s a beautiful city, the people are so welcoming and they really know how to party.
We had the best time when we were here this time last year, I can’t wait to come back. Hopefully they’ll have glitter cannons for us again.
2. What is the best thing about your job?
I get to do what I love with the most talented and lovely group of human beings, travel to amazing places and meet so many wonderful people.
With this band, we get to celebrate the legacy of my musical hero. I still miss Prince and feel such sadness that I’ll never get to see him perform again, but it’s such a blessing that we can continue to spread the love he started.
3. What was the best gig you have ever been to?
Prince at Hop Farm Festival in Kent, 2011 - the whole day was just perfect, it was the second time I saw him and he was on fire.
4. Which of your own gigs have been the most memorable?
Last year in Belfast was pretty epic, but I think it has to be playing lead guitar for Bill Bailey when we headlined the Saturn Stage at Sonisphere 2011.
About 65,000 metal heads moshing in the rain, Motörhead, amongst others, watching from the wings, and just getting to play at Knebworth. It was definitely one ticked off the bucket list.
5. What's the craziest/weirdest thing a fan has ever said/done?
Prince fans seem to generally be pretty awesome, so there’s not much in the way of weirdness, they tend to just really appreciate good music.
Someone did make me a plasticine model of myself once though.
6. What song is your biggest guilty pleasure?
I’ve got so many! I do love a bit of cheesy ‘big hair’ rock though, it’s hard not to rock out when someone puts a bit of Bon Jovi on.
7. Who would you not mind getting stuck in a lift with for 10 hours?
-Anyone from my band - if we can do it in a van, a lift shouldn’t be a problem.
Or David Attenborough, possibly the most interesting man in the world.
8. Who would you definitely mind getting stuck in a lift with for 10 hours?
Donald Trump, unless I got to leave him in there permanently afterwards.
9. What is your karaoke song of choice?
Haha, I’d probably have to say Purple Rain.
10. What words of wisdom would you bestow on the next generation?
Believe in yourself and stay true to who you are, spread positivity and love for one another... and listen to more Prince records!
Belfast Telegraph Digital