Q&A: Belfast singer Owen Lamont talks festive cheer with new single Lovely Time Of Year
Following the release of his festive single Lovely Time Of Year, we spoke to Belfast singer Owen Lamont about the influences behind the Christmas tune and why it's great to get free drinks.
1. What's the best and worst thing that's ever happened to you on stage?
The best thing that's ever happened to me on stage would be getting getting free drink slid in front of me by appreciative punters. Nothing too bonkers really.
The worst would have to be snapping four strings on two different guitars during one solo set. I may as well have been singing acapella. Not nice.
2. Who is your music idol and have you ever met them?
I have a few music idols - but two of them would definitely be the brothers Peter and David Brewis from a band called Field Music and recently I was lucky enough to be selected for a music residency where I got to spend a week with them in their studios. That was an incredible experience. I learned so much.
3. Can your music be described in one word?
Can any music be described in one word? Probably not! But if it were imperative to do so I'd say 'melodic' would be a good one.
4. Can you music be described in five words?
That's easier. Sort of. Let's go for 'rocky, poppy, soulful, melodic groove' (I have no idea what that means).
5. What is the influence behind your new Christmas tune?
I wanted to try and write a song that could connect with people's experiences and appeal to their light.
So I talk about everything from decorating the tree to the stress of shopping for presents down town, to making resolutions for the year ahead.
It's really trying to get people to stand back a bit and realise that it's actually a nice time of year and we should all just take time to enjoy it and relax.
6. What song is your biggest guilty pleasure?
Justin Timberlake - Cant Stop the Feeling (ssshhhh) I can't help but want to bust a few moves when it comes on
7. Do you know what an Ulster Fry is?
How could you not! Oh, I know what's for breakfast tomorrow.
8. Who would you love to perform a duet with? (living or dead)
James Taylor or Ella Fitzgerald
9. If you had to listen to one song on repeat for 24 hours, what would it be?
Soldier by Richard Dawson. In fact, I have listened to this song an incredible amount in the last week.
- Lovely Time of Year by Owen Lamont is available now.
Belfast Telegraph Digital