UK’s Eurovision entry Michael Rice predicts contest could replace X Factor
The Hartlepool native hopes to turn the UK’s fortunes around after 22 years without a win.
The United Kingdom’s entry for this year’s Eurovision Song Contest has said it could make a comeback and replace X Factor in the public’s hearts and minds.
Michael Rice described this year’s show as a “turning point”, adding that he hoped it could be the antidote to Brexit despite the UK not winning in 22 years or entering the top 10 in a decade.
The 21-year-old, from Hartlepool, County Durham, rose to fame after winning the singing show All Together Now last year.
He predicted Eurovision could fill the void left by X Factor. The ITV show has been hit by falling ratings and Simon Cowell is planning a revamp, said to include an all-star edition with former contestants.
Rice said: “This year is going to be the turning point for the UK.
“With Brexit and everything that is going on, we need to focus on the song and the UK really getting behind the Eurovision artist. It’s the biggest competition in the world.
“Especially now X Factor is not coming back, this is the only show that can involve song-writing and musicians.
“It can get really good songs in the next few years. And get Eurovision back at the top.
“Everyone is going on about this Brexit. I’m only 21, so I don’t know anything about politics. It’s not about politics. It’s about having the right song.”
Rice successfully made his way through the new selection process for British acts, winning the public vote on the BBC’s Eurovision: You Decide programme and the right to compete in Tel Aviv in May.
He also admitted to being starstruck after discovering The Only Way Is Essex star Megan McKenna is a fan.
He said: “Megan McKenna follows me, and Sam Daly. Some really big people follow me, so it’s really nice.
“I’ve been working on loads of new music and to find out about Megan McKenna being a fan. I’m a big fan of Megan McKenna’s own music – the country music she does.
“It’s just crazy that people are following me. I’ve never reached out to her (to collaborate) because she’s a celebrity she’s not going to (reply). Even though she follows me she’s not going to know who I am. So I’ve never reached out to her.
Some fan mail from today! This letter is amazing I had tears reading it - such an incredible person to open up to me, with everything that she’s going through - stay strong massive hugs!♥️ pic.twitter.com/lGWzWs5qLG— Michael Rice (@MichaelRiceOff) April 26, 2019
“She probably won’t even see my message with all the messages she gets.”
Rice has also taken advice from last year’s pick, SuRie, whose performance was interrupted by a stage invader who snatched the microphone during her performance of the song Storm.
“She’s given me loads of advice about the lead-up to Eurovision,” he said.
“How mad it’s going to be in Tel Aviv, the press and fans. She wanted to make sure I’m ready and in the zone.”
The 2019 Eurovision Song Contest is due to be held in Israel between May 14 and 18 after the 2018 contest was won by Israel entry Netta with her song Toy.