Mollie King unveiled as first Strictly Come Dancing contestant
Mollie King can't wait to pour herself into some sensational sequinned outfits for the new series of Strictly Come Dancing.
Former The Saturdays singer Mollie King has been announced as the first contestant on this year's Strictly Come Dancing.
The BBC programme kicks off later this year (17), with rumours rife about the star-studded line-up. But on Monday morning, the BBC press office confirmed that petite blonde Mollie will be trying her luck for the Glitterball trophy, with the 30-year-old star revealing she's more than a little excited about her new gig.
"I’m a huge fan of Strictly Come Dancing so I can’t actually believe I’m lucky enough to be taking part in it this year!" Mollie said in a statement. "I’m literally so excited to learn latin and ballroom dancing, and of course I can’t wait to get into the sequins too! It’s going to be a lot of hard work but I’m ready for the challenge."
Mollie is sure to ask her bandmate Frankie Bridge for some advice on success on the programme, given that the mother-of-two came second on the 2014 series of the show. Rochelle Humes has also had some experience on Strictly, having competed on the show's Christmas special in 2013.
The girls have yet to publicly comment on Mollie's exciting Strictly Come Dancing news.
The confirmation of Mollie's involvement in the show comes after it was reported that comedian Brian Conley has also signed on the dotted line for the series.
Sources told The Sun that the 55-year-old comedian is expected to inject some of his trademark humour into his performances, bringing out his famed alter ego "Dangerous Brian" when it comes to taking a twirl on the dancefloor.
"Brian is all signed up for the show and is sure to be a laugh a minute," an insider told The Sun. "He’s a born performer and really knows how to get a crowd going given his years of experience playing Buttons in panto.
"From eating fire on Loose Women earlier this year to flashing his rear on The Wright Stuff - ‘Dangerous Brian’ certainly won’t be afraid to try anything on the Strictly dance floor.
"He was addicted to the series last year and even came to watch the live shows to get some tips – he really can’t wait to get going."
Other stars rumoured to have signed up for this year's Strictly include former The X Factor winner Alexandra Burke.
© Cover Media
Belfast Telegraph Digital