The Top Gear producer attacked by Jeremy Clarkson in a fracas which cost the BBC presenter his job has said he does not want to press charges against his former colleague.
Oisin Tymon has informed North Yorkshire Police he does not want to take any further action against Clarkson, who was this week told his Top Gear contract will not been renewed by the BBC after an angry and lengthy tirade in a hotel over food.
Mr Tymon had his lip split in a 30-second-long assault on March 4 and had to take himself to hospital with his injuries. He was also shouted at by the former Top Gear presenter in a torrent of verbal abuse.
Clarkson reported the incident to the BBC five days later and was suspended by the broadcaster on March 10.
Police yesterday said they had "a duty to investigate" the incident and had spoken to potential witnesses.
Mr Tymon's lawyer, Paul Daniels of Slater and Gordon, today issued a statement in which he said his client " has informed the police that he doesn't want to press charges".
He said: "The events of the last few weeks have been extremely unpleasant for everyone involved. The matter has taken a great toll on Oisin, his family and his friends.
"Quite simply, Mr Tymon just wishes to return now to the job at the BBC he loves, as soon as possible. Further, the BBC have, in his view, taken action with a view to addressing the issues at hand.
"Mr Tymon agrees with the BBC's stated view that all parties should now be allowed to move on, so far as possible."
North Yorkshire Police said the force is still investigating the incident. A spokesman said: "Inquiries are ongoing."
Police could yet bring a charge against 54-year-old Clarkson, although it appears any prosecution would be without the support of the victim himself.
North Yorkshire Police yesterday said they had been contacted by ''concerned members of the public'', asking what action they were taking in relation to Clarkson.
The force said in a statement: ''No-one who was present at the hotel during the incident came forward to report an offence to the police. Nonetheless, we have a duty to investigate where we believe an offence might have been committed, and that is what we have been doing with this case.
''We have already spoken to some people who were in the hotel at the time, but there are still others we need to speak to, who could help us to determine exactly what happened.
''Also, as is usual in these circumstances, we have made contact with Mr Tymon through his lawyers, to ask him to speak to us so we can ascertain how he wishes to pursue this matter.
''When these routine inquiries are completed, we will be able to assess whether or not further action needs to be taken from a police perspective.
''Meanwhile, we'd like to reassure the public that the matter is in hand, and we are dealing with it responsibly and proportionately.''
Outspoken presenter Clarkson received widespread public support - including from his friend, Prime Minister David Cameron - in the aftermath of the fracas while one million people signed a petition calling for the BBC to reinstate him.
But on Wednesday, BBC director-general Tony Hall announced he would not be renewing Clarkson's contract, saying ''a line has been crossed'' and that ''there cannot be one rule for one and one rule for another'' .
Mr Tymon, who has previously described Clarkson as a "unique talent", has come under sustained abuse on social media for his involvement in the dispute.
Clarkson refused to answer when asked if he was worried about being arrested yesterday.
Instead, he said: ''All I would like to say is, I wish people would leave Ois alone because none of this was his fault.''
When he was asked what he would like to say to fans who may be upset about him leaving the show, he replied: ''Everybody's upset.''
Two major companies, Sky and Channel 4, are understood to have ruled out working with Clarkson, while ITV would not comment on ''a BBC issue''.
Chris Evans leads the betting as favourite to take over at the show, even though he has ruled himself out on more than one occasion.
North Yorkshire Police confirmed they had received a letter from Mr Tymon's lawyers indicating that he does not want to press charges.
A force spokesman said police would take Mr Tymon's wishes into account and would issue a statement when they have finished interviewing guests at the hotel.
Police said: " Earlier this week we made contact with Mr Tymon's lawyers to ask for his views on the incident at Simonstone Hall, and how - as the central person in this matter - he wished us to proceed.
"This morning we received a letter from Mr Tymon's lawyers indicating that he does not wish the police to pursue an investigation on his behalf.
"We understand the letter was also issued to the media.
"We are grateful to Mr Tymon for clarifying his position, as we can now take this fully into account. This is North Yorkshire Police's usual approach.
"We have some final interviews to complete with guests who witnessed the incident as their perspectives also need to be considered.
"When these conversations are complete, we will issue a statement on our website as appropriate."
Later, a man believed to be Andy Wilman, executive producer of Top Gear, spent a couple of hours at Clarkson's West London home.
The news that Dermot O'Leary has left his presenting role on The X Factor sparked online rumours that he could be in the frame to replace Clarkson on the show.
The star, who has been a mainstay of the hit ITV talent show for eight years and also presents a show on Radio 2, was among the favourites for the role identified by bookmakers earlier this week.
William Hill had O'Leary as 6-1 to replace Clarkson with only fellow DJ Chris Evans and Jodie Kidd ahead of him in the betting.