Belfast Telegraph

Royal wedding: Prince Charles to walk Meghan Markle down the aisle

The Prince of Wales will accompany Meghan Markle down the aisle at her wedding to Prince Harry.

Kensington Palace announced that Charles would give his soon-to-be daughter-in-law away when she marries Prince Harry on Saturday in the historic surroundings of St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle.

A statement released on Friday read: "Ms Meghan Markle has asked His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales to accompany her down the aisle of the Quire of St George's Chapel on her Wedding Day.

"The Prince of Wales is pleased to be able to welcome Ms Markle to The Royal Family in this way."

It is understood that Harry was involved in discussions with his fiancee about who should take on the important role on the big day.

The announcement comes after it was confirmed Ms Markle's father, Thomas Markle, would not be attending the wedding.

In a statement issued through Kensington Palace on Thursday, the bride-to-be said: "I have always cared for my father and hope he can be given the space he needs to focus on his health.

"I would like to thank everyone who has offered generous messages of support.

"Please know how much Harry and I look forward to sharing our special day with you on Saturday."

Mr Markle is still in Mexico where he is recovering after undergoing heart surgery on Wednesday to implant three stents.

The reclusive former TV lighting director, who had been due to walk his daughter down the aisle, was caught up in controversy after allegedly being caught staging photographs with the paparazzi.

OM_MBK_-_Read-Only_.jpg
Meghan with her father

He reportedly pulled out of attending the ceremony in St George's Chapel on May 19 to avoid embarrassing his daughter, but then later said before his surgery that he wanted to be part of history and hoped to be there, celebrity website TMZ revealed.

Meanwhile, The Duke of Edinburgh is to attend the royal wedding to see his grandson marry Ms Markle, Buckingham Palace has said.

Philip, 96, has been recovering after undergoing a hip operation.

The duke was spotted at the Royal Windsor Horse Show last week - the first public sighting of the Queen's consort since he left hospital.

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph