TV star cleared over club incident
The Only Way Is Essex star Mark Wright has been found not guilty of using threatening behaviour towards a man outside a nightclub.
The reality TV heart-throb told police he "saw red" after hearing Tom Grantham, 21, say he was going to throw a brick through the window of Deuces Bar and Lounge, an Essex bar in which he had invested money.
A court heard a tussle ensued but Wright, who has found fame thanks to the award-winning ITV2 show, claimed he only wanted to protect himself.
The 24-year-old held his head in his hands as he was cleared at Redbridge Magistrates' Court in Essex, and appeared close to tears.
The decision, read out by magistrate Glen Pierre, was applauded by members of his family sitting in the public gallery.
After he was released from the dock, Wright, wearing a grey suit with a white shirt and black tie, embraced his grandfather in the courtroom.
Yesterday, Wright's friend Jack Tweed and his brother Lewis admitted common assault in relation to an attack on Mr Grantham on the night in question, January 3. They will be sentenced on August 16 at the same court.
Wright had been "reduced to tears" by previous arson attacks on Deuces, the court heard. He and Tweed, the widower of Big Brother star Jade Goody, had invested a "substantial amount of money" into the refurbishment of the venue in Chigwell, Essex.
Speaking outside the court, Wright said: "I appreciate the consideration of the court in clearing me of this charge.
"I am now looking forward to putting this behind me. I would like to take this opportunity to thank all those who have stood by and believed in me."