Belfast Telegraph

Wireless Festival sees security beefed up

Festival Republic, which organises Wireless, previously announced it would be reviewing security following the suicide bombing at an Ariana Grande concert.

Wireless Festival revellers were greeted by a beefed up security operation at this year’s event after the capital was targeted in a wave of terror atrocities.

Airport style measures were installed at the gates for a second year, with music fans required to place valuables in transparent plastic bags before walking through metal detectors.

Police were also around the site as the country’s official terror threat level remains at severe, meaning an attack is highly likely.

Chance the Rapper performs on stage at the Wireless Festival (Joel Ryan/Invision/AP)

The annual event is based in Finsbury Park, north London, a matter of metres away from where Muslim worshippers were run down in a suspected terror attack on June 19.

It rounded off several months of bloodshed in the capital, including the London Bridge and Westminster outrages.

Festival Republic, which organises Wireless, announced it would be reviewing security following the suicide bombing at an Ariana Grande concert at Manchester Arena earlier this year.

♡ 🌈

A post shared by Ariana Grande (@arianagrande) on

In a statement released at the time, it said: “We have consulted with personnel at the very highest level and all the relevant police and security groups as we carry on with the preparation for this festival season.

“On top of the conversations this week, these talks will continue right up until the festivals and onwards. We talk regularly with the authorities and share intelligence throughout the festival season in order to protect our fans.

“The festival perimeter, arena, backstage and offsite areas are all robustly controlled and managed by security experts. Festivals are what we do. The hundreds of staff working on these events know them inside out and have been working on them for many years.”

Wireless has previously suffered security problems, including in 2015 when dozens of people stampeded through gates without tickets, overwhelming staff at the entrance.


From Belfast Telegraph