He might only have officially announced his decision to leave One Direction two days ago, but it appears Zayn Malik is already working on solo material.
The singer, 20, was pictured at a West London recording studio yesterday.
According to a report in The Sun, who are carrying his exclusive first interview since his departure today, Malik is working with producer Naughty Boy, who masterminded Sam Smith’s award-winning debut release, In The Lonely Hour.
“It is crazy and wild and a bit mad,” Malik told The Sun, six hours after news of his leaving the world’s biggest boyband broke across the world.
“But at the same time I’ve never felt more in control in my life.
“And I feel like I’m doing what’s right — right by myself and right by the boys, so I feel good.”
Signs that Malik’s time with the band had slowly chuntered to a halt started to show last week, when he flew home from the Asian leg of the One Direction world tour having been signed off with stress.
Malik released an official statement about his departure on Wednesday. It read: “My life with One Direction has been more than I could ever have imagined. But, after five years, I feel like it is now the right time for me to leave the band. I'd like to apologise to the fans if I've let anyone down, but I have to do what feels right in my heart.
“I am leaving because I want to be a normal 22-year-old who is able to relax and have some private time out of the spotlight. I know I have four friends for life in Louis, Liam, Harry and Niall. I know they will continue to be the best band in the world.”
Mental health charities have since called on One Direction fans to be cautious of hashtags that appear to promote self-harm and other worrying trends.
Meanwhile, concerned bosses have been calling for legal advice as hundreds of workers have requested compassionate leave in the wake of Malik’s exit.
Employment law director Alan Price said “it was a situation you just couldn’t make up”.
Independent News Service