Belfast Telegraph

Gordon blames bad customers

Gordon blames bad customers

KILLYLEAGH man James Gordon claims he is one of the "better class of builders".

KILLYLEAGH man James Gordon claims he is one of the "better class of builders".

In an interview with Sunday Life on Friday, he put a series of complaints against him down to "bad customers", pernickety surveyors and said he had taken on too much work.

"You get bad customers too," he explained.

He claimed he had had a "run of bad customers" adding: "I don't need this s--t."

Asked if he had any criminal convictions, Mr Gordon initially said: "No, only motoring offences".

When pressed, he owned up to one conviction for theft in 1980, saying the police had "pinned" it on him. He refused to elaborate.

Asked why he had walked off the site of Mr and Mrs Fillmore's Lisburn home, Gordon claimed:

"Nothing pleased him. He was over my back. He kept interfering. I had no option... I didn't know whether I was coming or going."

He said he had "absolutely no conscience" about leaving the house, but denied he left it in an unsafe state.

Dismissing a surveyor's report to the contrary as "over the top", he said: "The gable was quite safe. Surveyors don't know too much about propping gables. It's a builders' term."

Mr Fillmore responded: "Thank goodness I did interfere. He was only here for two weeks. I dread to think what the place would have been like if I hadn't."

Mr Gordon said he did not wish to make any comment about Mrs Hawkes' home.

Dundonald man David McBride said Gordon, who started extension work at his home in March, had said the work would take eight weeks. But he left the site in June with the work incomplete.

Gordon responded: "I said a job of this size would normally take eight weeks.

"But I told him I had too much other work on and I couldn't put a time limit on it."

He said the building control report, which highlighted 18 problems with the work at Mr McBride's home, was simply work not yet done.

"I never said the job was finished," said the builder, who claimed he was now trying to reach an agreement with Mr McBride.

Mr McBride said: "He broke so many promises. He said the job would take eight weeks. He didn't say he was up to his eyes.

"But even if he had taken three months, or even four months, I would be happy enough. But after four months the work was nowhere near completed."

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph