Belfast Telegraph

Hit-list loyalist back in Shankill

Adair's pal defies UDA death threat

By Stephen Breen

Ousted terror chief Johnny 'Mad Dog' Adair's right-hand man defied a UDA death-threat last week - to attend a close relative's funeral.

Ousted terror chief Johnny 'Mad Dog' Adair's right-hand man defied a UDA death-threat last week - to attend a close relative's funeral.

Notorious loyalist, Gary 'Smickers' Smith, ignored police pleas, by returning to his old Belfast stomping-ground for his brother Stanley's service.

Mr Smith, from the Woodvale area, who received a savage beating from loyalist terrorists last month, died after a massive heart attack.

And, speaking for the first time since his exile, Smith warned UDA godfathers they will be creating "a monster" if they continue to attack his family.

Smith, who fled Ulster last year during the bitter UDA feud, arrived in Belfast last Saturday, after leaving his Glasgow bolt-hole.

Before boarding the ferry for Belfast, Smith was warned by cops he was still on a UDA hit-list - and was putting his life in danger by attending the funeral.

Smith was accompanied from Glasgow by loyalist supporters, and was under constant police surveillance during his brief stay.

A senior security source told Sunday Life that two police Land Rovers, a police camera van and one heavily-armed specialist unit were also in attendance at the funeral service - at Roselawn cemetery, in east Belfast.

Members of the LVF were also in attendance, in a bid to prevent any attack on Smith and his UDA cronies.

Smith told Sunday Life: "I knew the UDA would have no problem in killing me at my brother's funeral, but there was no way they were going to stop me from paying my respects to Stanley.

"There were police everywhere - they must have spent a fortune on security.

"But I also had great support from my comrades in Scotland and Belfast.

"I couldn't go to (Mr Smith's) house to pay my respects, but I still drove down the Shankill.

"The cowards who threatened me had no idea I was there.

"If these criminals continue to attack our families, they should realise that they will be creating a monster. Our families have got nothing to do with this feud.

"They should remember that me and Johnny (Adair) will be coming home at some stage."

Smith was in charge of the UFF's Shankill 'C' company, after Adair was returned to jail for his part in the UDA-UVF feud, in 2000.

He was jailed in 1995 for conspiracy to murder and possession of firearms, but was freed in 1999, under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement.

Smith was sent back to jail, after he was convicted of making a hoax bomb call to a TV station during the Holy Cross dispute, in 2001.



From Belfast Telegraph